Acer Aspire E-15 - Battery problems

Options
xzackx
xzackx Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey, ok, so I have an Acer Aspire E-15 laptop. Recently, i've been having some battery issues. The screen goes black when the battery reaches 35-40% and the laptop goes to hibernate. Then, i click on any button or move the mouse and it comes back to life with the battery at 5%. By the way, I know how batteries work and always charge it from 40% to 80% ALWAYS!!! Regardless, i am facing this problem. I tried to calibrate the battery like this https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/ didn't really do much. Tried hwmonitor or some other software - it said that the battery wear was 15%. I also read online that resetting the battery by insert a paperclip in the battery reset pinhole might do the trick but I am not sure what exactly that does and if it's going to help in my case.
My question is what can I do to get the battery back to normal and should I try to reset the battery (battery reset pinhole on the bottom)?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Your battery wear level seems OK for the age of the laptop, BTW, what's the full model name? I don't understand the reason for charging from 40%, you can set the critical battery level at 5% as in my snip, you need to run the laptop until it hibernates before start charging, try few cycles like this until the battery behaviour becomes normal, yes you can try the battery reset,leave the laptop to rest for a while(15-29 Mins) then fully charge the battery before start using the laptop.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• xzackx
    Options
    wow, wow, wow, dude, you got me all lost,

first of all, answering your question "I don't understand the reason for charging from 40%" 

I've read a lot of posts on the internet from battery experts, they all say the best range is 40-80%, like here, for example, 

https://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

or here

https://www.nirico.com/laptop-battery-charging-tips-from-the-pros/

secondly, my laptop model is Aspire E5-511

thirdly, "...you can set the critical battery level at 5% as in my snip, you need to run the laptop until it hibernates before start charging, try few cycles like this until the battery behaviour becomes normal.."

1 that's exactly what it set to (5% to hibernate) but once it gets down to 35-40% it goes to hibernate as if the battery level was critical (5%). I think its some kind of misreading, the laptop thinks that the battery is 5% when (in reality it's 35-40%) and sends it to hibernate, see what I am trying to say here?

2 what exactly do you mean by that? run the laptop until it hibernates and then start charging all the way to 100%?

3 and i should do it couple of times  until the battery behavior gets back normal?

4 will resetting it (battery reset pinhole on the bottom) bring it back to normal?

thanx

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    OK there is some confusion here and I can see why. Information from 3rd party websites can conflict with any manufacturers recommendations, so I will tell you what the official Acer stance is but first do this and after recalibration revert back to 5%

How to Set Low Battery Warnings on Your Windows 10 Laptop
    1. Open the Control Panel. ...
    2. Choose Hardware and Sound.
    3. Choose Power Options. ...
    4. Next to the active power plan, click the link Change Plan Settings. ...
    5. In the Edit Plan Settings window, click the Change Advanced Power Settings link. ...
    6. Scroll the list, and locate the item labeled Battery.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Now go to Device manager and expand Battery, right click and select uninstall for both items found there then reboot

Do a soft battery reset which often assists in fixing battery problems, Unplug and turn off laptop, place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside and press for 10 seconds then leave everything alone for 15 minutes. plug back in and recharge until full then turn laptop back on

Recalibrate the battery meter. discharge battery until just below 10% then recharge to 100% repeat for a total of 3 times

As for charging between 40 to 80%, Acer does not use that type of battery technology. Acer gaming laptops are designed to cut off charging at 100% and when the battery level drops to around 98% it will trickle charge back to 100%

When gaming the battery MUST be charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEPT plugged in while gaming, this is how the laptop is designed to be used and the processor can only operate at max in this fashion

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• xzackx
    Options
    Right, so, first of all I use Windows 7 but the procedure is the same. I have already set Critical battery level (on battery) = 5 Plugged in = 5
     So, you are telling me I need to set low battery warnings as follows
    Critical battery level (on battery) = 0 (can't do that because it only lets me go down as low as 2) 
    Plugged in = 5
    And turn off the display (on battery) - never
    Put the computer to sleep = 5 mins
    Plugged in = Never
    Plugged in = Never
    Like in your image? 

2 "Recalibrate the battery meter. discharge battery until just below 10% then recharge to 100% repeat for a total of 3 times"

Should this be done while the laptop is on (all the time during this procedure)? I mean, I turn it on, let it discharge below 10%, then charge it to 100% (keeping it on), then let it discharge below 10% again (while it is still on)? or i can do all that but turn it off when i don't need it, for example, turn it on, discharge battery until just below 10%, then charge it all the way up to 100% and turn it off, then (next day) turn it on, discharge it  below 10% then charge it again to 100%, then turn it off again? can I do that?

3 "As for charging between 40 to 80%, Acer does not use that type of battery technology. Acer gaming laptops are designed to cut off charging at 100% and when the battery level drops to around 98% it will trickle charge back to 100%"

not sure why you mentioned gaming laptops because mine sure isn't for gaming but are you trying to say that the 40%-80% charging rule is not applicable to my laptop and I should charge it whenever I feel like (regardless the percentage) and let it charge up to 100%?

thanks man, appreciate your help
  • xzackx
    edited February 2020
    Options
    ok, I did what u advised - it didn't work... first of all "discharge battery until just below 10% then recharge to 100% repeat for a total of 3 times" how would I discharge it below 10% if it drops from 35-40% to 5%? It's not a real discharge, is it?