Acer Aspire One D255E RAM question

Options
npc446
npc446 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Acer Aspire One D255E-13639.  Came with 1GB of RAM, I want to upgrade it to 2GB, but I can't find any information on what type of memory the machine needs.  The memory already installed has some cryptic numbers on it that don't google to any kind of RAM I can find.  Anybody have any idea on what RAM I need to buy?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,708 Trailblazer
    Options
    It will take DDR2 laptop memory module with 667MHz speed or greater. Go here for specs. About $32 for 2GB module. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-one-d255e-(intel-atom-n450)-ddr2
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• npc446
    Options
    JackE said:
    It will take DDR2 laptop memory module with 667MHz speed or greater. Go here for specs. About $32 for 2GB module. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-one-d255e-(intel-atom-n450)-ddr2
    Jack E/NJ

Awesome! Everything else I read said it was DDR3; that explains why it wasn't working.  

• JackE
    Options
    Crucial's about a good as any vendor to order from. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• wbzb
    wbzb Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    4$ if You choose used one.
  • npc446
    Options
    Okay, got it in the mail today...and it doesn't even fit the socket.

Top is the original memory, bottom is the replacement off of Amazon.  Pin count and key are both off.  

Sticker on the original memory says KN1GB0G02610507AA716101

Sticker underneath is hard to read without peeling the top one off.  It says HMT112S6TFR8C-H9 N0 AA 1052, which is listed as a Hynix 1Gb 204 pin PC3 10600S 1333Mhz...which I've tried the 2Gb version of (okay, it was 10600, no S, but that shouldn't matter, right, the S only indicates it's SO-DIMM, not desktop memory) and it didn't work.  As in, didn't even boot--black screen, no BIOS, nothing.  

So, is this even upgradeable, or am I stuck?  

Good thing this attempt only cost me $8.  
  • JackE
    Options
    This model usually came with the 450 atom processor which takes DDR2. Your old 1 GB module suggests it was in fact the newer 550 atom which takes DDR3. Here's the original RAM part numbers for both the 450 DDR2 and 550DDR3 modules. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,467 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    Options
    npc446 said:
    Acer Aspire One D255E-13639.  Came with 1GB of RAM, I want to upgrade it to 2GB, but I can't find any information on what type of memory the machine needs.  The memory already installed has some cryptic numbers on it that don't google to any kind of RAM I can find.  Anybody have any idea on what RAM I need to buy?
    Send the TECMIYO RAM stick back, its the wrong one, the top Hynix is the right 204 pin RAM. Btw and for your information, these Acer One notebooks have their CPU's soldered on and you cant change them, the only mods that you can do is either put an SSD or put 2GB MAX RAM, that's it. Its Intel GMA 3150 graphics are hopeless and very poor for 64bit utilisation and only useful for Win-7 basic 32bit that this came with OEM (there are some tweaks but its still very slow). 

I've got an Acer Aspire One Happy 2 AOHAPPY2-13666 with the 1.66GHz Intel Atom N570 Dual-Core, Intel GMA 3150 Graphics and I've even put a Samsung 250GB 850EVO SSD and I upgraded the RAM to the Hynix 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066MHz (which 2GB is the MAX that you can go on these) and I've also added the Atheros AR9285-AR5B95 BT/WiFi 2.4-5G as an added feature and this notebook is excruciating and painfully slow...ouch ouch and more ouchssss its so painful lol I suggest that you either run its OEM operating system ONLY or run a 32bit operating system on this, otherwise, running 64 bit Windows on this little 10.1" notebook will be very painfully slow and you will be making lots of cups of coffee before anything gets done lol just my suggestion, cheers.
  • npc446
    Options
    JackE said:
    This model usually came with the 450 atom processor which takes DDR2. Your old 1 GB module suggests it was in fact the newer 550 atom which takes DDR3. Here's the original RAM part numbers for both the 450 DDR2 and 550DDR3 modules. Jack E/NJ

Back to Amazon I went for this piece:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1254875778/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which  is the very bottom one listed on your chart.  Worked just fine, completely plug and play.  Thanks!
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ