Acer Extensa 2511: Which WIFI-adapter should I go with?

Options
Gizmo2020
Gizmo2020 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I'm considering replacing my Broadcom WIFI-adapter (BCM 943142Y) with a dual channel one. Please, advise which adapter I should go with.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    You might be able replace the single band card with a dual band with similar form factor. But you likely won't be happy with reception due to the antenna being set up for single band in your model. Dual bands may also have a mainboard retainer setscrew hole that won't line up with the setnut embedded in your mainboard.   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your reply. I'm aware of the pitfalls but still want to give it a try. You mentioned a dual band card with similar form factor. Could you recommend one? I'm talking about a specific model.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes, this one might work but the mainboard nut likely won't align with the screw notch. Perhaps you might be able to file a notch if you don't hit any circuits. What you're looking for is an m.2 next generation form factor (NGFF). Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Will 7265 do? Cause that's the one that I currently have. I picked it up a couple of days ago.
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Here it is BTW
  • JackE
    Options
    Sure. Have you opened the laptop yet to see what you're up against? Let us know how you make out. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    OK, I'm in :)
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Looks like they're identical. Even the screw isn't a problem :) I'm going to fit it in and see how it works
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Successfully installed :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Ah, but does it work? :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Options
    It does :) At least I'm online now and watching a video on YouTube :) The new card shows up in Device Manager and I didn't even have to install any drivers :)

P.S. The only difference between the two cards is that the Intel-made one is a bit wider.
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    Update: Bluetooth and WiFi working flawlessly :) I was even able to pair my Bluetooth headset with the laptop without my WiFi connection instantly dropping out on me (which was the case with my old card). The only thing I need to test now is whether my laptop will work with a 5 Ghz wireless network. Unfortunately, my router only supports 2.4 Ghz :(
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The only thing I need to test now is whether my laptop will work with a 5 Ghz wireless network. Unfortunately, my router only supports 2.4 Ghz >>>

Congrats. But 5GHz is where's it at.  Good luck.   :)  The 2.4GHz antenna isn't tuned for 5GHz but may pick up some if it's nearby.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I've seen instances where the 5GHz worked just fine with the stock 2.4GHz antennas, and instances where it worked, but at greatly reduced speed... It really depends on how well they did the antenna design.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Options
    Being able to use 5Ghz Wifi wasn't on top of my priority list. The things is, my old WiFi card randomly disconnected itself from my laptop and it really drove me nuts. So I figured a replacement was the only possible solution to this problem. Having a dual band feature is just a cherry on top :)
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you tell if the cherry's there yet?  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Options
    I'd love to but, like I said, my router doesn't support 5 Ghz :( I've been considering buying a dual channel one for quite a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps, the replacement will give me the much needed impetus :)
  • JackE
    Options
    Awww! Take it to a local coffee hotspot and look for the cherry.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gizmo2020

Tinkerer

Options
    OK, I will :)