Helios 300 fan noise: Unacceptable

Options
workplaceFanNoise
workplaceFanNoise Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Is there a fix for the Helios 300 fan noise at idle?

I have searched these forums for a way to lower fan noise at idle, but most posts seems to be people repeating that the noise is expected, or as if anything else would be silly or burn the unit, etc. Well, the fan noise at idle is not acceptable for a work or study environment, and as a computer engineer I will suggest that it is also unnecessary:
CPU temperature: 40-52 C             CPU fan: 2340 RPM (2000 - 2500)
GPU temperature: 41-46 C             GPU fan: 2700 RPM (2400 - 2800)

Acer and Predator Gaming have thus far decided to not allow consumers an easy way to control these features, whether through PredatorSense or in the BIOS. Most of what I've seen on this forum is not any hint of a solution to the repeatedly expressed issues of fan noise at idle, but mostly hand-waving from other members of the community essentially saying to just "deal with it" or that this is normal or to be expected (it's not). For reference, my low-spec college laptop was constantly around 80C (i7 CPU) and 6 years later it still works fine. It has also already been pointed out in another post here that the competing Lenovo Y540 runs more silent at idle or when browsing, though I have not tested it personally. This much noise while running minimal processes (browsing, documents, standard streaming) should be given a solution since it has been repeatedly requested as a consumer issue.

So since we are at the mercy of Acer or Predator to eventually maybe release an update to control this I will be getting rid of this laptop, and finding one from a company that treats their users like we can be competent if we so choose to customize a common feature. If anyone has an actual solution to fan noise at idle in the meantime, I'd be glad to read it.

_______
Acer Predator Helios 300 (2019)
Model Name: Predator PH315-52 (PH315-52-78VL)
Part Number: NH.Q5MAA.001
Intel Core i7-9750H @ 2.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti
BIOS V1.08 (Sept 2, 2019)

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    You bought a Gaming laptop not a laptop designed for the work environment. Your model is designed with the gamer in mind and the fan speed you quote above are correct per the Service Manual.You are not comparing Apples for Apples. Also this is a community of users, mainly gamers, who give freely of their own time to try and share there knowledge and a little respect for their efforts would be nice. This is not a portal to Acer support so I suggest that you voice your concerns in that direction

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• workplaceFanNoise

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Options
    andylb said:
    You bought a Gaming laptop not a laptop designed for the work environment. Your model is designed with the gamer in mind and the fan speed you quote above are correct per the Service Manual.You are not comparing Apples for Apples. Also this is a community of users, mainly gamers, who give freely of their own time to try and share there knowledge and a little respect for their efforts would be nice. This is not a portal to Acer support so I suggest that you voice your concerns in that direction

The service manual can say anything, but the point of my post emphasizes the requests from the community for a fix that seems possible: we could be given a means to control the fan speed specifically for quiet operation. And comparing the noise to the Y540 is exactly Apples for Apples, since it is a competing gaming laptop in the same price range and form factor.

The efforts of people posting here are appreciated in that they've made it clear that there is no solution but to wait for an update. But as a computer professional I disagree with boiling this issue down to this is a gaming laptop, not an office laptop, and this noise is to be expected. Again, the identically spec'd Y540 competitor has a "Quiet Mode" that is reported to do just that, be quiet. It is possible, we just have not been given the option. From my non-professional look at the cooling system I think the Helios 300 even has a better design, making the noise even more unnecessary and confusing.

I am voicing my concerns to the manufacturer's directly as well, but as I have done more research than the typical user and have a professional background I want this information to be public. Hopefully they will push updates and my post will be obsolete, but despite how much I like everything else about this laptop I personally will opt for a less noisy machine.
  • workplaceFanNoise

Tinkerer

Options

Fan RPM lowered and Less Fan Noise (a little anyway)

As an update, I have managed to lower the idle fan noise and fan speed RPM is:
    CPU temperature: 40-44 C                                   CPU fan: 1740 RPM
    GPU temperature: 33-34 C                                   GPU fan: 2160 RPM

This is more quiet for a silent environment, definitely better.
    However, I soon as I open a media tab such as youtube the speed jumps and does not get any lower than:
                                 Media open  |     Few mins
    CPU temperature: 42-45 C     ->    46-52 C             CPU fan: 2040 RPM
    GPU temperature: 33-34 C     ->    47-48 C             GPU fan: 2460 RPM

It seems to trigger once the CPU hits 45C and doesn't really go down from there. Which I simply don't understand.
    However, most importantly fan noise has slightly improved from stock by implementing the following changes outlined below.

---
    You can easily switch most of these back on when gaming, since having them on will enable the max performance from your machine that isn't utilized outside more intensive processes like gaming.
    ---

Instructions

Disabling CPU Turbo Boost

I did this by disabling CPU Turbo Boost and limiting it to its base speed operation. Instructions are here and I recommend using 2.4 registry file, though method 2.2 Advanced Power Management Settings works too. This has the benefit of allowing you to set more than one battery profile, that way you can easily switch with a click between battery modes when you want maximum performance from you machine while gaming:

Undervolting (of course)

There are many guides for undervolting so use whichever you like. This laptop comes with a standard -0.125V undervolt though lowering to whatever is stable with your machine should make some difference. I found the Intel XTU was not reliable for my device and have seen others recommend Throttlestop. The more user friendly is easily XTU, though if it can't reliably stick then what's the point. Throttlestop could use an user interface update but it should be straight forward enough following these steps or any other undervolting guide you find:
    If you have issues installing Throttlestop here is a fix that worked for me:

---
    These next steps may have also helped cumulatively, though they had no noticeable impact after each individual implementation:
    ---

Lowering Screen Refresh Rate

Lowering refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz doesn't make much difference in user experience for non-intensive use, and will probably also save battery life when not plugged in. Remember to change this back when playing a game that you can get more than 60hz out of though, or some videos:

Parking CPU Cores

(if you haven't unparked your cores you're probably not getting the full performance out of your laptop while gaming!!)

This is less easy to turn on and off using this first method but I want to include this for frequent office workers and gamers alike.
    I know CPU core parking doesn't have a concensus of opinion but if you don't already know about that then don't worry and just follow this

1st Method (tested)
    This video is funny and to the point. To quote the comments "This has to be the greatest tutorial I have ever watched"
    Gaming: If you want to disable parking CPU cores for maximum performance while gaming, follow the instructions in the video below exactly. (set value to 0)
    Working: I'm not sure how much this helped tbh, but for silent operation you're just going to confirm that the value is set to its default. (set value to 64)

2nd Method (definitely better if works but idk)
    There is a better method through software as explained fully here, though I haven't used it myself. This would be the ideal set up for easy switching, and you can probably set it to the same energy profile to have CPU cores parked and also disable Turbo Boost in one click:

---
    Undervolting the GPU is an option to boost game performance, but I did not try it for lowering temperatures to get the fans quieter. This is since the laptop by default uses the iGPU instead of the dGPU at idle, and the temperature is already much lower than the CPU at idle. Didn't want to spend the time.
    ---
    So essentially this is creating as good of a Quiet Mode as possible given the limitations allowed, though your results may vary and the fan will still turn up whenever it wants to. Even though the Lenovo Y540 is reported to have a working Quiet Mode already built in. Great :[
    Acer and Predator Gaming please give us controls :'(
    These steps showed some improvements for me and maybe it will for you too, just wanted to share.
  • Jhjh6980
    Jhjh6980 Member Posts: 78 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited February 2020
    Options
    intall notebookfan control and put the xml file from https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/574033/helios-300-ph317-53-72p5-rtx-2060-fan-stopping/p7

with this you can stop fan at 0 rpm manualy
    the xml file is from zyppishare or sandspace link from belik
    for me it’s work and have this laptpp from august 2019
  • alisaeed
    alisaeed Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    Jhjh6980 said:
    intall notebookfan control and put the xml file from https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/574033/helios-300-ph317-53-72p5-rtx-2060-fan-stopping/p7

but it will create an audio glitch so you can't really use it
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    alisaeed said:
    Jhjh6980 said:

but it will create an audio glitch so you can't really use it

Also if the CPU becomes damaged the Warranty will be invalidated so do so at your own risk

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jhjh6980
    Options
    for me no audio glitch

• workplaceFanNoise

Tinkerer

Options
    Jhjh6980 said:

0 RPM doesn't sound like a good idea, however I can also confirm it works and setting it to lower speeds below 2000 RPM works well on the fans and temperatures are fairly stable.
    However I did experience the audio glitch and it pretty much went away as soon as I uninstalled NBFC. This is on a fresh install of Windows though I have not cleaned up all unnecessary software and settings yet.

What model and specs do you have? I have:
    ____
    Acer Predator Helios 300 (2019)
    Model Name: Predator PH315-52 (PH315-52-78VL)
    Part Number: NH.Q5MAA.001
    Intel Core i7-9750H @ 2.60GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti
    BIOS V1.08 (Sept 2, 2019)
    Windows 10 Home

• workplaceFanNoise

Tinkerer

Options
    So far I've found that in the NBFC Config Editor that increasing the EC poll interval from 500ms to 1000ms helped with the audio glitch. It happens much less often but it still happens rarely, not ideal. Did you change any other settings in the config yourself?
  • workplaceFanNoise

Tinkerer

edited February 2020
    Options
    Ok nvm all this entirely. Somehow my cursor disappeared on restart and the fking touchpad wasn't working like wut dufuq lmao. Had to power off using CtlAltDel and then with the laptop turned off, press the power button for 12 seconds. Cursor appeared again and touchpad was working upon starting it up again.
    So if this works for you then be blessed and enjoy your properly working laptop. I'm going back to my original plan of just getting a new laptop that fits my quiet environment needs without the need for leet hax XD XC

Please Acer and please Predator Gaming give fix!

• Jhjh6980
    Options
    For me no issue i change nothing
    i have the ph317 53 with rtx 2060 version
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have a 2017~18 helios 300 (g3-572), and noticed it gets better cooled when I used a simple base which raised the laptop from the table, lefting more space for the air intakes. Not a cooler base, just raise the air intakes.
    This, paired with undervolting and heavy configuration on windows, keeps my laptop at auto 0 rpm sometimes.
    While a gaming laptop is expected to be noisy when cranking up frames in intensive cpu+gpu games, it is also reasonable to expect it to be QUIETER than a regular laptop while idling or doing office and small tasks, due to it having a much more robust cooling system.
    I really hate when kids these days use expressions like "chills", but it is hard to wave it from my mind when seeing too many smart people just "dealing with it".
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• MakeOutHill
    MakeOutHill Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    i actually found a fix that worked for me without replacing anything,
    i think the fan come with no lubrication or something that make that bad rattling noise 
    first you need to remove the fan from its pin after you unscrew the cover 
    then pull the fan away from the pin its actually connected with just magnets 
    watch this video  for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbMYAB0qwM
    then lubricate the pen with oil or if you have something better i done it with a car engine oil and it works really great 
    i took a cotton ear swap and dipped it in the oil and lubricated the pen
    carefull not to get messy and touch also the hole between the magnets with the ear swap try to get the oil in but not much
    be sensitive and take your time 
    be carefull when removing the 3D fan because it actually hard to pull this one out not like the CPU one its very easy
    and try not to damage the fan try to use all your finger to pull it out
    now put all the things back and try if this fixes any thing and please let me know if it does.
    and yeah another thing if you look closely you will see (or in my case) a red paint or a red something that was on the fan if you saw something like that try to get a razor or a knife and scratch this paint as i think it was doing some uneven weight on the fan when it spin and again try to be carefully and dont damage the fan and i washed the fan with water and soap because its stainless steel I think 🤔 then alcohol ofcourse and let it dry before putting it back together.
  • sylweno
    sylweno Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hello,

juts to put in my two pennies to the discussion about sound in idle mode.

I have just bought Helios 300 PH317-54 and reading comments started to regret it, especially that most of its use will be like Intel HD 630 utilization by word/movies etc.
    However, the thing is not so bad...
    Please have a look, after some easy settings, I have very often 0 (zero) rpm on both fans:

and in most cases they both run but quietly (acceptable):

The setting is the following:
    1. Of course it was loud in the idle mode after first start of new machine. Only restart helps for a while, and then both fans reached: > 2000 CPU and > 3000 GPU. I tried to put under laptop any "legs" to let flow runs under it without problems having more space - no improvement at all. Then I read your comments and was really sad that new laptop will disturb people sitting next to me.    
    2. I still do NOT have Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver installed (it was not in initial Windows 10 drivers bundle, but is part of latest drivers on Acer support->Drivers and Manuals page as DPTF)
    3. I have only modified battery setting - created new "silent" profile: Control Panel -> Battery Options->Change Advanced Power Settings:

3. You are using above at your own risk (just in case).

Of course for games, I'm using standard "Acer" profile, then it is loud (but I'm using the highest video settings - that is just the reason I bought that model) but you can "undervolt" (see above posts as well as below link) it and I guess it will be a little more silent:
     https://www.ultrabookreview.com/27098-acer-predator-helios-300-ph317-53/

I hope above might help some of desperate user's to look at this model in brighter colors...

Happy New Year!
  • M113
    M113 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi all,

I too was experiencing an awful noise coming from my GPU fan. Loud, metal, resonating noise. Unbearable during my work as a software engineer. I've tried most tips from the above posts (thanks for sharing!), but to no avail.

Ended up opening up my laptop and cleaning the fan. There was quite a bit of dust, the fan was silent for 10 minutes before it began resonating again..

I opened up the top cover of the fan and dropped one of the little screws on my motherboard. I was stupid enough to pick it up with metal pincers and saw the sparks flying out  :s From that point on my predator was lifeless. Could not start it up for several hours. Finally, after disconnecting the battery and pressing the power button for one minute to drain all power I connected the power (not the battery) and it came back to life. Connected the battery again.

Of course: still resonating. Made sure there was no static this time and opened up the fan again. Disassembled it carefully and lubricated it with 2 drops of silicone spray. That seems to have done the job! Oh, the sweet silence!
    Don't know for how long, though. But I'm prepared to lubricate that ***** thing every week if that's what it takes.

System:
    Acer Predator Helios 300 (2020)
    Model Name: Predator
    Intel Core i7 9th Gen
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
    CS:GO forever!