My Acer Swift won’t turn on even though battery light is on

MaggyS
MaggyS Member Posts: 3 New User
So I used my laptop perfectly fine about 30 mins ago and then closed it without turning it off. Now the screen won’t turn on and the keyboard light is not working either. The orange light on the side is still on and so is the blue battery light. So I’m assuming it’s in sleep mode but I’m unable to turn it off.
Can I still try and do a battery reset even if i can’t fully turn the laptop off?

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    if you press the power button for a good 10 seconds, that should turn it off,
  • MaggyS
    I’ve tried that but doesn’t seem to be working, the orange light is still flashing, so i think it’s still turned on
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    okay, unplug it, flip it over and there's a small pin hole - push a pin in it (its a small micro-switch so doesn't need any great pressure) and it disconnects the battery, then power up again.
  • BobG100
    BobG100 Member Posts: 1 New User

My acer Swift 3 laptop, which has a built-in battery, would not start one day after months of normal operation. Oddly, the blue light located on the side was on but nothing else seemed "alive." I tried virtually all of the simple fixes- -that is, those that did NOT involve opening the case- -mentioned in this forum to no avail. Frustrated, I called and conversed with a Support representative; he had me try a number of different things, but these too failed to solve the problem. The rep concluded that my laptop would have to be returned to be serviced. Several days went by as I waited for a prepaid shipping label to arrive [it never did]. About a week ago, I happened to glance at my laptop and noticed that the blue light had FINALLY stopped shining, even though the unit was left unplugged [should the battery have been completely drained?]. Just for the heck of it I pressed the Power button- -the laptop started! It's been working fine ever since, both on battery and electrical power. I'm not sure if this problem will arise again or if it was a one-time glitch that corrected itself. I’ll call Support to solicit their opinion and recommendation.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    This often happens when the battery is confused and the reset isn't done fully. You have to disconnect power, then press and hold the battery reset for 15-30 seconds. Release the button and then wait 15-30 minutes for all the capacitors to bleed off. Reconnect power and let it charge fully (note that this is where the battery finally realizes that it's confused and gets straightened out). Once it done charging go ahead and turn it on. What likely happened with yours is the battery gradually discharged until it go below a threshold, which allowed the battery to realize it was low on charge, so you could turn it on and charge it again. Your way is just a lot slower... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xlxDaniellexlx
    xlxDaniellexlx Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi my acer swift 7 was working perfectly fine a few nights ago I didnt power it off I just closed it.... I went to use it the next day I seen the light on the it went off.... It wouldn't power on for me or charge no light nothing so I came on here read all the comments I reset the battery and put it on charge the orange light came on and then turned blue I pressed the power button and all light went out again 🙈 I repeated the same and left it on charge the blue light is back but thats it I called acer and then just told me to do what I already did any help is much appreciated thanks 
  • Yroory1
    Yroory1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same here. Did something work? Please help
  • MaggyS
    Yroory1 said:
    Same here. Did something work? Please help
    Yes! It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure i just did a battery reset, so pushed an earring in the hole by the battery for 10 seconds and then it worked again!
  • Yroory1
    Yroory1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your answer. I have already done a battery reset (several times) still did not work/start. :-(
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @Yroory1 you should start a new thread using the Ask a Question button. Include your full model number, what is happening with it and what you have tried so far. When you say you have done a battery reset, describe what you have actually done. Just pressing the button isn't often enough.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.