A517-51 Touchpad stopped working

catflap
catflap Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everyone.
My A517-51 laptop's touchpad has stopped working a couple of days ago.
Have turned touchpad on and off.
I tried updating the driver, uninstalling the driver in device manager.
Have done Win10 updates.
Turned the laptop on and off.
Have searched for the driver in Acer Care Center. The driver isn't listed.
Acer Care Center says the system is working perfectly.
Did a system restore. No changes.
Have done several Norton scans and shows no virus or trojan or other problems.
Device manager keeps saying the driver is installed and working properly.
But the touchpad still does not work.

When I turn on the laptop I see very briefly what looks like an icon of sorts showing the
touchpad isn't on/working (a red circle with a slash through it over a hand on a touchpad).

I really don't know how this happened. The laptop stays in one place and is never moved from room to room
so it is never dropped or damaged in that way...or in any way, for that matter.
It could be I pressed a wrong key on the keypad, but I don't know which one(s) it could have been.

I am not very computer savvy. I don't know how to access and use BIOS. I don't want to have to install a third party program
or driver to fix it if I really don't have to. There must be a way to reactivate the touchpad.

I appreciate any and all help, advice, instructions.

Best Answer

• catflap

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    ok i installed that older driver but it changed nothing.
    when it restarted I got that icon again (see first photo).
    and because my eyesight isn't that good, I took a magnifying glass
    to look at the keyboard and saw the F7 key with that same icon in blue (see second photo).
    i must have hit F7 blue a few days ago when I meant to hit F6 blue to
    turn off the screen.

and
    brummyfan2 for your help.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,427 Trailblazer
    edited February 2020
    Hi,
    You can access BIOS by pressing F2 button as soon as you press the Power button, when you are in BIOS screen, move to Main tab and check whether the touchpad is in Basic mode, if it is, switch to Advanced mode, press F10 to save and exit.

• catflap

Tinkerer

brummyfan2 thanks. i will try it and report back here.
  • catflap

Tinkerer

brummyfan2 It was already in advanced mode. I saved and exited anyway and it has not been fixed. I don't know anything about the 12C driver is mentions. I've already tried to update the driver and cannot.

• What happens when you change the touchpad to basic in the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • catflap

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho i didn't try that because I wasn't instructed to earlier. I will try that and report back here.
  • catflap said:
    brummyfan2 It was already in advanced mode. I saved and exited anyway and it has not been fixed. I don't know anything about the 12C driver is mentions. I've already tried to update the driver and cannot.

Hi,
    Go to Acer support site, download Serial IO driver and install.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7350?b=1
  • catflap

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho didn't fix it in basic mode.
    brummyfan2 the installed drivers are newer than the ones you say I should install.
    So I didn't install it.

• catflap

Tinkerer

egydiocoelhobrummyfan2 I changed it back to advanced in BIOS and it still isn't working.
  • catflap

Tinkerer

edited February 2020

i changed it back to advanced in BIOS and it still doesn't work

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    catflap said:
    egydiocoelho didn't fix it in basic mode.
    brummyfan2 the installed drivers are newer than the ones you say I should install.
    So I didn't install it.

Do as my colleague @brummyfan2 says, ignore the warning and install the driver he pointed you to, it is the official current Acer supported driver and it doesn't have to be newer, it is the one that Acer supports

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Can you enter your version of the bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • catflap

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    ok i installed that older driver but it changed nothing.
    when it restarted I got that icon again (see first photo).
    and because my eyesight isn't that good, I took a magnifying glass
    to look at the keyboard and saw the F7 key with that same icon in blue (see second photo).
    i must have hit F7 blue a few days ago when I meant to hit F6 blue to
    turn off the screen.

and
    brummyfan2 for your help.