Acer Aspire V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-74RG) - Wifi Adapter issues

Options
DW_Rafisa
DW_Rafisa Member Posts: 30

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello!
For a few weeks now I've had to fight with a quite annoying issue. Almost daily now, my Acer Aspire V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-74RG) gets the issue, that it will turn on without the WLAN Adapter powered. What I mean by that is, Wifi just, doesn't get loaded.
The Wifi settings are gone from the Windows Settings Menu, the adapter is hidden in the device manager and I can only "Update" (Which I can't because I have no internet) or Uninstall it.
My Adapter is the standard Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter
I have tried several things, ranging from "netsh winsock reset", "netcfg -d", "net start qcamain10x64", restarting, Shutting down fully and waiting. I even opened the thing up and checked inside.
It feels like my Laptop has created a mind of its own and does whatever it wants now. And yes, I have also tried reinstalling the drivers.
Yesterday, "netcfg -d" worked instantly. Today not
2 days ago I tried it with "netsh winsock reset". Worked then but not now.

Today I even ran into ANOTHER problem. It wouldn't start at all. I had the charger plugged in, hit the power button and the only thing that happend is that instead of an orange charging LED I was greeted with a Blue LED, that blinked once after I hit the power button.
Is my device just, done for or can there still something be done?

Answers

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    I opened up my Laptop again after seeing a shocking thread, mentioning they had an entirely different model built in.
    My laptop says on the Bottom "This device contains WLAN+Bluetooth module QCNFA344"
    I opened it up and was greeted with THIS instead:
    QCA6174-5
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you give the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. You said you updated the drivers, but you have already tried downloading from this site: https://www.ath-drivers.eu/atheros-wireless-drivers.html
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    The exact model is VN7-791G-74RG
    Also, I have tried it from that site. I downloaded the QCA61x4a drivers as a test and that suddenly worked... (there was a .exe inside... which helped)
    I wouldn't call it finished yet tho. My Laptop has this almost daily so there is a chance my adapter refuses to comply again tomorrow
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Then continue testing and post the result.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    Unfortunately, I have bad news. I started the laptop again today and, wifi is gone again...
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    I am slowly starting to doubt that it is an issue with the network card actually and more with the device itself. Perhaps a service not starting or failing?
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    I have to also note that, when trying to install the drivers from ath-drivers.eu 
    How am I supposed to install them?
    i tried doing it this way: Device Manager --> Action --> Add Legacy Hardware --> All devices --> Have Disk --> select .inf file provided.
    No Drivers get listed.
  • DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    So. I opened up the laptop Again, unplugged the card and plugged it back in... now it works...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Was the wireless network card improperly connected in the slot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    No it wasn't. I changed nothing on the inside actually. I only opened it up, plugged it out and back in, closed it up and it worked again.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In this case, I suggest you continue testing and if the problem occurs again, let me know.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    I noticed something rather strange this morning.
    As a test I started my laptop before arriving at work, on the train. It started up normally, even had wifi running. It then crashed with the notice "BUGCODE NDIS DRIVER". It then had this issue during the startup, then lost wifi completely again.
    I started it into safe mode and it worked there. Went back, worked again, shut it down.
    When I arrived at work however, my laptop wouldn't start, at all. With the charger in, the orange LED only flashed once when I hit the power button. I took out the charger, tried to turn it on, didn't work. I tried a new socket, didn't work. I did the battery reset (holding down the power button for 15 seconds), didn't help.
    I slightly hit on the spot where the charger connected to the laptop, pressed the power button and it turned on. Wifi again, gone.
    I have the suspicion that it might not be an issue with the wifi card, but rather the PCU. The event viewer may confirm this by noting on failures of the wifi startup, "The miniport has failed a power transition to operational power"
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Você já tentou abrir o notebook e desconectar e reconectar a placa wifi?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    So. My Wifi suddenly seems, even stranger. Now it has suddenly lost internet twice, refusing to let me disable it or do anything until restart and JUST now, I got "BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER" while working on something insanely important...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    My computer just bluescreened again with the same stop code...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried to update the wireless firmware above?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Have you tried to update the wireless firmware above?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DW_Rafisa

Tinkerer

Options
    I have already and it seems to somehow only have made it worse. If anything, it isn't a firmware update but actually just a power plan edit.