How do I disable the keyboard on my Acer Aspire ES 17 as I have a stuck key

Options
CharlesP
CharlesP Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi, Any help would be much appreciated! My keyboard keeps filling the screen with the letter"c", and I want to use a USB keyboard instead. I've searched google on how to disable my laptop keyboard, and tried several solutions without success. By going into device manager I get the option to uninstall the keyboard, which doesn't seem to work.There is no option to disable the keyboard in device manager. I can use the USB keyboard, but after a while something seems to trigger the built in keyboard to filling the screen with the letter c....

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    The only safe method with Win10 Home is to disconnect the KB ribbon from the mainboard. However, if fastboot is enabled and the PS/2 KB is uninstalled from DeviceManager while leaving the USB KB plugged in at all times, the PS/2 driver will in some cases not be re-installed on booting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CharlesP
    CharlesP Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks JackE. Bit too technical for me, but disconnection of the KB ribbon sounds the right way for me, as I will always use this as a desktop. I'll get a professional to do it for me. Thanks again!
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options
    CharlesP said:
    Hi, Any help would be much appreciated! My keyboard keeps filling the screen with the letter"c", and I want to use a USB keyboard instead. I've searched google on how to disable my laptop keyboard, and tried several solutions without success. By going into device manager I get the option to uninstall the keyboard, which doesn't seem to work.There is no option to disable the keyboard in device manager. I can use the USB keyboard, but after a while something seems to trigger the built in keyboard to filling the screen with the letter c....
    You may try the steps in this link.. it might help you.. 

Link: https://www.lifewire.com/disable-laptop-keyboard-windows-10-4582462
  • menthos984
    menthos984 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The only safe method with Win10 Home is to disconnect the KB ribbon from the mainboard. However, if fastboot is enabled and the PS/2 KB is uninstalled from DeviceManager while leaving the USB KB plugged in at all times, the PS/2 driver will in some cases not be re-installed on booting. Jack E/NJ
    In my case, after removing KB ribbon from mb. I was not able to turn on my computer hence creating a different problem.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    The easiest and safest is temporarily disable the KB by uninstalling its driver from DeviceManager.  But it re-installs on the next boot. If you want to try to permanently disable the KB there are other less straightforward options shown in this link. https://try10.com/how-to-disable-laptop-keyboard/

Jack E/NJ