My a er travelmate shuts of randomly all the time - travelmate B117 Model N16Q9

Sadbhuja
Sadbhuja Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi I have a travelmate B117
Model N16Q9

It's shutting off more often. At one point even the HD didn't work anymore. What can I do? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Run an app like Core Temp to see if the problem is due to overheating. Report back with the temperatures you are seeing. BTW there are two models of the Travelmate B117, the -M and the -MP, do you know which is yours?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sadbhuja
    Hi. Sorry was very buissy. OK I installed core temp. Temperature is now  max 68. But during the day it gets hot. So yes I think it shuts off because of overheating. Then even if I switch it on again it shuts off after 5 min. Or so.  I deactivated the graphic card already. A friend suggested it. But still it remains 
  • billsey
    It shouldn't shut off until 100C or later. It sounds as if you are still a long way from that. Yet the symptoms sounds like overheating of some sort. Is there a particular area that feels hotter?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sadbhuja
    Hey. Yes some areas get hotter. I think also it's a overheat problem. Once it shut off then even I switch it on quickly it shuts off again. Is there a way to avoid overheating except siting in an ac room? 
  • Sadbhuja
    Now the computer shuts down even on 60 degrees without running it for long. It might be another issue than just heat. Any advice? 
  • billsey
    Can you pin down the hot location so we can look at what is inside there? It might be that whatever is overheating is getting worse.
  • Sadbhuja

This area it gets hot. 
  • billsey
    edited February 2020
    OK, what drives do you have on your model? Some came with an MMC drive (32GB or 64GB IIRC), some with a HDD (500GB) and some with a SSD (128GB). Your finger is pretty close to right above the MMC. There is a thermal shield over the processor, memory and MMC but I would expect the heat to be more toward the processor, about half way between the HDD connector (just inside that door) and the edge of the computer where the ports are. There is also the WiFi card between where your finger is and the back of the computer, but it's more in line with the HDD connector.

• Sadbhuja
    Well I ran the computer now for 4 h straight connected to the electricity. Shortly After I pulled the plug the computer switched off again. So my idea is it's not a heating issue but a battery issue. 
  • Sadbhuja
    I have the version with 500 GB hard-drive 
  • billsey
    OK, if yours has the 500GB drive and no 32GB or 64GB SSD then I don't see anything in that area that would be generating heat. The battery is down over the touchpad and between the speakers in that diagram, your HDD is between A and the motherboard. Any chance the HDD is generating the heat you are finding? It would be possible for a HDD to generate a bunch of heat if it's failing physically.