v3-571G - I have integrated Nvidia but system says Intel 4000 - Why?

Options
PeteinAlmeria
PeteinAlmeria Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have an integrated 2Gb Nvidia Geoforce GT 640M in my laptop (had since new) but since Windows 10 its always telling me its using Intel 4000 and system memory. Does anyone know why?  How do I get it to recognise the Nvidia card?

Best Answer

• PeteinAlmeria
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ed4myra said:
    Any laptop with 2 gpu's like the one you have, will normally use the most energy efficient one in plain situations, i.e. Intel in your case. If your application is gpu intensive then it will automatically switch to the nvidia gpu.

You can check both gpu's with the gpu-z tool.
    And you can check if one of the graphics control panels of intel and nvidia allows you to switch which gpu you want to be activate at all times.

I have used the gpu-z tool but it only mentions the Intel HD Graphics 4000 - I tried both gpu-z standard Asus ROG themed. Both say the same. I have now gone to BIOS and set to switchable - And eventually found the Nvidia driver for this gpu (the one that Asus indicated was not the one). By going to drivers section and drilling down I found the correct driver. Thank you for trying to help - Much appreciated. 

Answers

• ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Any laptop with 2 gpu's like the one you have, will normally use the most energy efficient one in plain situations, i.e. Intel in your case. If your application is gpu intensive then it will automatically switch to the nvidia gpu.

And you can check if one of the graphics control panels of intel and nvidia allows you to switch which gpu you want to be activate at all times.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Some of those models use the NVIDIA for the onboard screen and the Intel for the HDMI port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PeteinAlmeria
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ed4myra said:

I have used the gpu-z tool but it only mentions the Intel HD Graphics 4000 - I tried both gpu-z standard Asus ROG themed. Both say the same. I have now gone to BIOS and set to switchable - And eventually found the Nvidia driver for this gpu (the one that Asus indicated was not the one). By going to drivers section and drilling down I found the correct driver. Thank you for trying to help - Much appreciated.