Acer Aspire 1 A111-31-C509 - won't boot - Please insert the external storage media and press ok

Donalo
Donalo Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi All. I'm getting an error on boot "Please insert the external storage media and press ok". I've tried Alt +F10 on boot and tried all options but cannot restore the system. 
Troubleshoot - reset this PC (selecting remove everything) - There was a problem resetting your PC. 
Troubleshoot - reset this PC (selecting keep my files) - shows username and prompts for password - There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. 
Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Restore - no restore points have been created. 
Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Go back to the previous version - We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. 
Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Start Up Repair - Start up repair couldnt repair your PC
Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Image Recover - Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. 
Use Another Operating System - Windows Rollback - Please insert the external storage media and press ok

So it seems all my repair options are not an option!!! I am helping out a friend so not sure how this was setup originally. Do we have any ideas on how I can get Windows 10 back up and running on this device please? Is it possible to run some sort of checkdisk on the drive/bad sector drive issue or what appears to be the problem? There are no files which need to be backed up so it can just be blown away!

Thank you in advance. 

Answers

• Sterces
    Sterces Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    The user might not have Administrator privilege.are you an admin AND running genuine windows? You may also have updates pending
  • Donalo
    Donalo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sterces said:
    The user might not have Administrator privilege.are you an admin AND running genuine windows? You may also have updates pending
    Under one of the recovery options only 1 account showed up so I’m guessing it has admin rights. Pending updates may be possible but unlikely however I have no way to get to the OS to check. 

Anybody else have any other suggestions? My thoughts are the HDD ? Is it possible to run a check on it outside the OS? Thanks 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - System Image Recover - Windows cannot find a system image on this computer. 

Here's your problem, the PC resets from a system image hidden on the drive and it simply is not there, the previous owner probably installed his own copy

Go here and download the ISO file to a thumb drive and reinstall Windows 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Please click Yes if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• stormyt
    stormyt Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

i have the same problem with a customer swift 1. done everything to no avail. chkdsk is fine, does not acknowledge usb ports in bios, just nothing works to get into any part of the system. Now I have to add this. the customer downloaded all his files to the sdd and not his external hdd and has this thing 110% filed. Sucks I cant remove sdd to remove thecrap any directions. yes disabled secure boot and nothing. Reset bios nothing.....
  • MJCW
    MJCW Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem.  Have tried everything but can’t get past the error, “Please insert the external storage media and press OK.” It will not reinstall Windows10 from a usb stick. Help, please.