Acer SWIFT 3 SF314-56G-76FM (SSD slots)

Options
bahar1
bahar1 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hallo there. How many SSD slots are there in Acer SWIFT 3 SF314-56G-76FM? I'd like to install another SSD, because the mode of the current SSD is Intel Optane and therefore I cannot install Ubuntu as a dual-boot. Thus, if I could install a new SSD and set it to AHCI mode, I would be able to install Ubuntu on the new one.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Heheh, this is a community support board, so you have to wait for someone who has an answer for you to get a response. :)
    There is one M.2 slot and one SATA port on the SF314-56G.The M.2 slot can be used for Optane memory to boost the performance of a SATA HDD or for a NVMe SSD. The SATA port can be a HDD or an SSD. I believe you can squeeze a bit more performance out of the NVMe drive by switching it to AHCI in the BIOS, but if you have Optane memory there instead leave it in Optane mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• bahar1
    Options
    Is anybody there?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Heheh, this is a community support board, so you have to wait for someone who has an answer for you to get a response. :)
    There is one M.2 slot and one SATA port on the SF314-56G.The M.2 slot can be used for Optane memory to boost the performance of a SATA HDD or for a NVMe SSD. The SATA port can be a HDD or an SSD. I believe you can squeeze a bit more performance out of the NVMe drive by switching it to AHCI in the BIOS, but if you have Optane memory there instead leave it in Optane mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ed4myra
    ed4myra Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    Options
    i have installed on my sf314-56g a fast nvme ssd on the M.2 port, where previously the intel optane memory was installed. Now I have one ssd and one hdd. The bios is set to AHCI. Make sure that after you upgrade the bios, the setting is set again to AHCI, as strangely enough the default bios setting is RST Optane.

With this config you can decide where you wanna install Ubuntu. You can even decide to install dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on the same ssd, and use the hdd as a backup drive. 
  • bahar1
    Options
    Thank you guys both.