How to set M.2 SATA SSD as boot drive in Acer swift 3 ryzen 5 SF315-41 laptop?

garg_saab
garg_saab Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

I have installed HP SSD S700 M.2 250GB SATA on my Acer Swift 3 ryzen 5 laptop and cloned the C drive with macrium reflect software. 

Now the SSD is being shown as HDD0 in the BIOS initial screen but the same in not being in Boot priority menu. Please help me to change the boot drive to SSD.

I have also tried to disable secure boot by setting the supervisor password but no fate

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    Disconnect the original drive. The re-enter the BIOS menu to check that the m.2 now appears in the boot order. The save settings and exit. Shut down again and re-connect the original drive. Then boot up again. It should now be the D : \ drive. 

Jack E/NJ

• garg_saab
    Hi JackE,

Thanks for responding. Is there any other way to do it? Even opening the back panel was so much pain. It would be the last thing I would want to do again. 

If possible, kindly share some BIOS fix or some other suggested steps through which I should perform the cloning so that the drive start showing the boot priority menu. Currently there is only one entry showing i.e. of the HARD DISK
  • JackE
    edited January 2020
    Enter the BIOS menu with the F2 key at boot time. Make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the Main tab. Save settings and exit. Then shut machine off again. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key to see if the m.2 shows up in the Windows bootloader menu. 

Jack E/NJ

• garg_saab
    Hi Jack ... I already tried that too ... but that also not showing the SSD :( 
    I am not sure how other people enabled the SSD as boot drive

I am attaching the pictures of my BIOS
  • JackE
    Press Win+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Can you see both drives? If yes, we can probably safely switch them from there so the HDD is D : and m.2 is C :  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• garg_saab
    Yes, i can see both the drives and i can even explore all the stuff inside the m.2 ssd with file browser. But is it safe? May be i can get locked into boot only and boot manager won't be able to find the correct boot device? 
  • JackE
    DISKMGMT.MSC GUI usually doesn't allow changes  that could render the machine unbootable. Nonetheless, if you prefer not to disconnect the HDD, you should make a backup recovery stick using  ACER Care Center before making any changes with both drives connected. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• garg_saab
    Thank you for the suggestion JackE ... I will try to make changes to drive letters ... also I already have created a bootable backup through macrium reflect software ... which totals to around 500MB+ size ... is that sufficient? in fact, the recovery partition also has almost similar size occupancy on the HDD. 
  • JackE
    >>> I already have created a bootable backup through macrium reflect software ..>>>

To be extra safe, you really should use the ACER Care Center to make a recovery USB pendrive that you can use to reinstall the system to any HDD or SSD. It is essentially like the hidden ACER recovery partition on the HDD which is compacted and much smaller than the 500+MB C : \ drive  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• garg_saab
    Thank you so much for your suggestion JackE ... I will do as suggested and revert back soon.