Chromebook CB3-431 Charger issues...?

Mejo16
Mejo16 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I got this laptop 2 years ago as a Christmas present. I haven’t had any issues with it and it’s worked pretty well. Recently my charger broke so I ordered a new one off of Amazon using the model number on the back of the laptop. The charger I got was too small and wouldn’t stay in my computer or charge it at all. I went to Best Buy to see if they would possibly have anything there and they don’t and the guy helping me said to use the model number on the charger instead. I did that and ordered another charger off Amazon. It came with 2 charging heads. One was 3.0*1.1mm and was too small. The other was 5.5*1.7mm and was too big. This seems very strange because I can’t seem to find any charging heads of a different size. I ended up just calling acer and placing an order with them. I’m hoping that the one send me fits because if it doesn’t I’m not sure what to do. My winter semester of school starts Tuesday and not having a computer would be really inconvenient. Was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this before or may know what my issue is?

Thanks! 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    The part nos for the correct chargers are shown below. I'm sure ACER will provide the correct charger. But if not, just google the part nos. for vendors. 

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    When you say 'too small' do you really mean 'it fits in, but is loose'? Spec calls for 45W 19V 1.1x3.0x7.5 as Jack says, that decodes to a barrel with a 1.1mm hole, 3.0mm outside and 7.5mm long. If your socket has the center electrode broken off or the spring bent the barrel will fit in, but not be held in place or charge.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mejo16
    Mejo16 Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    When you say 'too small' do you really mean 'it fits in, but is loose'? Spec calls for 45W 19V 1.1x3.0x7.5 as Jack says, that decodes to a barrel with a 1.1mm hole, 3.0mm outside and 7.5mm long. If your socket has the center electrode broken off or the spring bent the barrel will fit in, but not be held in place or charge.
    You are correct. The charger I ordered off of Amazon technically fit into the charging port but was loose and wouldn’t stay in and therefore wouldn’t charge the computer. Hoping Acer sends me the correct one that fits into the computer 🤞🏻
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited January 2020
    You can try to bend the slider contacts toward the center pin inside the jack with a toothpick so they make better contact with the plug barrel ring. 

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Just be careful to not break the toothpick off in there! :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.