Acer Nitro 5 usb c not providing power

Murlocholmes1231
Murlocholmes1231 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

My Acer Nitro 5 (model number: AN515-52-53G3) doesnt seem to be providing power to the usb c port unless I connect my Samsung usb c to usb a converter included with my phone (this converter: https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-accessories/usb-adaptor-c-to-a-eeun930/).

Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions as how to solve this as it is impossible to plug in an external display via the HDMI port and have this convert plugged in at the same time.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    From my research it should output power to charge any device with no need for an adapter, except if it is a different type like USB A
    However to Power a device rather than just charge it, the symbol next to the port must be enclosed in a battery

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    Maybe i am not getting the full picture here. Are you wanting to charge your phone at the same time as having a monitor plugged into the HDMI?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Murlocholmes1231
    I'm actually just trying to use the usb c port for an additional usb device, but in my tests with an external hdd the only way to power the hdd was to use the converter which I just happened to have lying around.

Perhaps a usb c hub would solve this issue, but it just seems weird that I have to use the usb c to usb a converter with an additional usb cable to the hdd to get it powered on. 

For reference, my phone doesnt charge either unless the converter is plugged into the laptop.

Side note: I realised I had an SSD installed in place of the included hdd and I may be missing some drivers. Not sure if this could cause the described behaviour but in the almost 2 years since getting the SSD installed I haven't had any other issues
  • andylb
    Why can't you use one of the USB 2.0 ports for power?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Murlocholmes1231
    I just didn't have a spare USB 2.0 hub lying around and I needed to connect more than 3 devices and noticed the above behaviour when trying to use the usb c port. If this is the expected behaviour or if there is no way around it, I'll just grab another usb hub. I was just hoping to figure out why the usb c port wasnt working as expected.
  • andylb
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    From my research it should output power to charge any device with no need for an adapter, except if it is a different type like USB A
    However to Power a device rather than just charge it, the symbol next to the port must be enclosed in a battery

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Just checked in with some of our data sheets and the USB C on this model officially does not support Power Distribution, so it can't power a Monitor, it can only Charge a device and transfer data, sorry

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★