Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-52H2 - How to reduce allocated Graphics Memory

NikPalPro
NikPalPro Member Posts: 36 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-52H2 i5-9300H and a GTX 1050 (3GB)
I have a very big issue. RAM. I have 8 GB, but guess what! Intel Integrated Graphics hogs FOUR GB of my RAM! Well, I know iGPUs work that way, but Intel UHD 630 can barely require 2 GB 
The fact that 4GB is reserved by a Graphics Card/Component that is barely used and barely requires as much is a trouble. The snappy i5-9300H even paired with a beautiful 4-Lane M.2 SSD sometimes seems to chug because of insufficient RAM remaining.
It would be of great help if anyone knows how I can reduce it to at least 2GB or anything to get a decent chunk of my memory back

Answers

• You can submit a capture of the task manager as well as the monitor properties.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    As my colleague above asks please show us a screen shot from Task Manager showing 4 GB of RAM being reserved by your GPU

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• NikPalPro
    (Highlighted Blue) is the figure I am worried about. Right now, I have just booted up and the most intensive task is taking the screenshot. BUT once look at my RAM usage. Shows 4.1GB used out of 7.8GB (Highlighted Red). Chrome and Desktop cumulatively are occupying 400Mb in the background and that's the top 2 intensive apps. Nothing else. 

• What is circled in red refers to the services and programs that are booting with windows. I suggest you press windows + r and type msconfig. Then go to startup, hide microsoft services and then disable all and restart windows. Then double check the amount of available ram memory consumed.
    What is circled in blue is the shared ram memory, meaning the system will make up to 3.9gb available to the video card only when there is demand.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    Dedicated Intel HD Graphics is used most of the time for routine tasks, the Discrete Nvidia GPU is probably only setup to be used for gaming unless you have it selected as "Preferred" under the Global tab in your Nvidia Control Center. I'm not sure why you have 3gb being used by your Intel card, my Vega 8 has none being used. I have 16gb of RAM, which I recommend, so it is no big deal for me and is the easiest way around the problem.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• @andylb. Actually not being used 3.9gb. Only 300mb is being used. However, the system can make up to 3.9gb of ram available for the intel video card only when demanded. It is different from dedicated memory!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    @andylb. Actually not being used 3.9gb. Only 300mb is being used. However, the system can make up to 3.9gb of ram available for the intel video card only when demanded. It is different from dedicated memory!

Ahhh it's the VRAM not actual RAM =)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• NikPalPro
    Okay! Thankfully I have observed that Hardware reserved is under 500Mb, so it is quite good!  =)
    The troubling 4GB + usage all the time is most probably my services as I am quite a heavy user and have about 3 or 4 apps (but relatively heavy ones) at boot  :#

• Check here too:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer