Acer Aspire 3 A315-53-33K does it support NVME SSD's ?

teckluv
teckluv Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello...Acer Aspire 3 A315-53-33K does it support Nvme SSD's ? i've looked all over and it doesn't seem to be motioned anywhere that it has an M.2 slot.
So i looked inside the notebook and i found the M.2 slot...but it is not mentioned anywhere the type of this M.2 slot ( Nvme or SATA III ). But i found the motherboard reference C5V01 LA-E891P and i found out that this M.2 slot is actually an PCIe 3 X4...So does it mean that it supports Nvme ? 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    I think it might work because 17 people have installed PCIe 3.0x2 M.2 SSD in this model, the slot may work at 2 lanes only because it's restricted in BIOS to reduce heat in slim laptops, this is only a guess, anyway, if you install a PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 SSD it may work at half the speed advertised by the manufacturer.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A315-53/94889
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Check if the m.2 socket has one or two keys. If a two-key socket, an nvme with one M-key slot won't fit. If one-key socket, the key must be in M-location as shown below for nvme to fit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• teckluv
    JackE said:
    Check if the m.2 socket has one or two keys. If a two-key socket, an nvme with one M-key slot won't fit. If one-key socket, the key must be in M-location as shown below for nvme to fit. Jack E/NJ

it has an M key slot...but i can't find anythink in the bios about Nvme...i can't find anything  in acer manuals nor in the internet about this slot which is weird.This a photo of my motherboard.
  • JackE
    It's an m-key slot. Both NVME and SATA3 cards will fit & work. Run hwinfo64 freeware to determine if it is a 2 lane (half-speed) or 4 lane PCIe (full speed) NVME socket mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• teckluv
    hwinfo64 does not show if it has an M.2 slot, i think it only shows information about the plugged devices.

• JackE
    edited January 2020
    >>>hwinfo64 does not show if it has an M.2 slot, i think it only shows information about the plugged devices.>>>

This is strange. An NVME or SATA3 m.2 should both fit & work OK. But the NVME may be limited to SATA3 speeds. I see nothing referring to PCIe v3. Possibly it's a hidden view in hwinfo64? Jack E/NJ

PS: The specsheet shows that the only m.2 SSDs that would've been factory-installed are all SATA3s. The double-slot SATA3s would've fit and worked in all the possible mainboard m.2 socket configurations. 

Jack E/NJ