Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 Heat Issues

Options
boazvdw7
boazvdw7 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Dear reader,

I own my Helios 300 for about a year now and recently the heating issues got a lot worse. The day I got this laptop I we're already experiencing a lot of issues: laptop getting stuck while walking away for a few minutes in idle mode (need to hard-reboot everytime this happens (about 2/3 times a day)), laptop hitting 98 degrees celsius most of the time, some of the keyboard lightning getting barely visible.

About two months ago it got a lot worse, now when I'm playing games my laptop randomly decreases CPU speed to 30% and my fps drops to like 1-15fps for about 1-2 minutes. This happens about every 5 minutes and makes it very unbearable to play games on my laptop. Since my warranty expires over ~1 year I am left with the question what I should do now. My experience with these kinda repairments is that they are temporarily and it will most likely be the same after about a year.

I already tried downvolting my CPU without success so I'm left with no option but to get it repaired I guess but I thought maybe someone on this forum knows anything that can help me fix my laptop. I don't want to repaste my thermal glue since I will lose my warranty.

If you are looking to buy an Acer Predator Helios 300, take my advise and *DO NOT BUY A HELIOS 300!!! this laptop is guaranteed to have heating issues and probably even more.

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The heating issue is common in every brand's gaming laptop, including Acer's. If undervolting didn't work for you, try doing a re-paste and also clean the fans as they get clogged up with dirt. Also try doing Windows 10 optimisation. There's a sticky thread in Predator Forum. And yup, if you don't take of your PC, these problems are bound to happen again. 
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The heating issue is common in every brand's gaming laptop, including Acer's. If undervolting didn't work for you, try doing a re-paste and also clean the fans as they get clogged up with dirt. Also try doing Windows 10 optimisation. There's a sticky thread in Predator Forum. And yup, if you don't take of your PC, these problems are bound to happen again. 
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • boazvdw7
    Options
    XdxD said:
    Do you know anything about the stuck in idle issue?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check here my friend:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• boazvdw7
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Check here my friend:

Thanks a lot for your help, my pc actually isn't overheating while this is happening though (since I'm not playing games or anything). It literally happens for example when I'm creating a word document, while I walk to the toilet and come back my laptop has frozen, only keyboard lightning will still work when touching a key screen is also just black backlight off... Any solutions would be much appreciated

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried disabled hibernation?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• boazvdw7
    Options
    Have you tried disabled hibernation?
    I have without success.. has been a problem since the day I got this laptop though I should have returned it immediatly I know :(

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked if the problem remains when you update the intel and nvidia video card drivers? Can you show the error code that appears in the event viewer on the system tab?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• boazvdw7
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right error but I think so..
  • boazvdw7
    Options
    Hi, thanks again for trying to help me out. Your solution with the undervolt profile seemed to work at first, however after about 30 minutes I got a windows crash. Error states STORE_DATA_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, and my temps where below 90 all the time at first but just before it crashed they went up to about 95
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    One of the microsoft agents that this error could occur because of overheating, see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storedatastructurecorruption-bsod/cc8a26df-0db3-4253-a5f0-e65152df1e7d
    Since your notebook is no longer under warranty, you think you might need to repackage it. Many users recommend the grizzly kryonaut thermal paste.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer