Keyboard not working Acer Swift 1 SF114-32

Options
Teemachine
Teemachine Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2020 in Switch Series
Hi there,

Hoping someone can help...

I have an Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 laptop and all of a sudden the keyboard stopped working. Oddly the power button still works which is part of the keyboard. 

I have tried everything suggested on the internet but can not fix the problem. 

Please help anyone.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If not, click on Keyboard folder. What do you see listed in the folder? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi JackE
    No red or yellow warnings. I have uninstalled the keyboard drivers and reinstalled. Didn't help. 
    Under keyboard folder - Standard PS/2 Keyboard. 
    I can't even access the bios when booting up to test if it works on there. Though I am not sure what key to press anyway!

• JackE
    Options
    Turn machine off. The press and hold the F2 key. Then turn the machine on while still holding the F2 key. Does the BIOS menu appear? If yes, can you move around the tabs & menu with the keyboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    Unfortunately the bios menu does not appear. It just loads into Windows. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    The connection between the keyboard and the motherboard involves two cables, a keyboard cable and a keyboard back light cable. Does your back light work? It's possible they put the wires for the power switch into the back light cable and the keyboard cable has become disconnected...With BIOS not recognizing the keyboard it's unlikely to be a Windows driver issue and more likely to be hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yep. Unfortunately, you'd have to take the back cover off and remove the battery to reseat the KB connector on the mainboard a few times to clean and firm up its connections. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    The backlight does work on start-up but then turns off. Its strange as it was working perfectly and then just stopped all of a sudden. 
    Thank you both for your help. I'm starting to think it is hardware related and will take it to a computer repair place to see what they say. 

Thanks so much!
  • JackE
    Options
    The backlight connector, like the power button connector, is completely separate from the KB connector  itself. Accordingly, your power button and backlight connectors seem fine. Your KB connector (#14 in above image) seems  NOT.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    I took it to a computer repair place today and they plugged an external keyboard in and tried to boot into the bios. The machine then wouldn't show anything onscreen just black. :(
    Thinking now that the motherboard is completely buggered. 

• JackE
    Options
    That may or may not mean anything at this point. The bottom cover must be removed to reseat the KB connector. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I will see if I can find someone willing to crack it open to take a look at the KB connector. I fear it is beyond my skill set unfortunately. 
  • Sathish2388
    Sathish2388 Member Posts: 85 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    1. Turn on your computer and once you get in to login screen try to turn on on-screen keyboard by clicking on ease of access icon then login to your computer
    2. Once you are desktop screen do a right click on windows icon and select settings > Update & Security > Recovery and under Advanced startup click Restart now.
    3. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings and click Restart, which will boot straight into bios screen.. Once you get in to bios and check whether keyboard keys are working or not 
  • SwapnilJoi
    SwapnilJoi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I am the owner of Divya Darshan Metallica and I have the problem of keyboard
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Thanks so much for your help! I will see if I can find someone willing to crack it open to take a look at the KB connector. I fear it is beyond my skill set unfortunately.  >>>

It's really not that hard. Remove 9 screws from the bottom and pry the cover off with a credit card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    You know what I'm going to give it a go! :)
    I'm sure any repairs would cost me more than I paid for the machine so may as well give it a try!
    Your answers are so detailed and helpful!
  • JackE
    Options
    That's the spirit!!! Good luck.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jeff230
    Jeff230 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Dear Teemachine,

Have you already fixed your keyboard issue? I have the same issue. . .all keys is not working on the keyboard, only key ON/OFF is working on the keyboard. I have an Acer Aspire E5-573.

Thanks  & Best Regards,
    Jeff230
  • Teemachine

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Jeff,

I was quite lucky as the laptop was still under warranty so I returned it to the supplier. The supplier then replaced the laptop so it appears it wasn't repairable or not worth repairing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
  • MdJs12
    MdJs12 Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hello Dear,
    My Acer Aspire ES 15 laptop keyboard is not working after  i open the parts. Please help me 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options
    @MdJs12 you should start your own thread with your question and put it in the Aspire section for laptops, not the Switch section we are in now. Include the full model number, a description of your issue and what steps you have tried so far. I'd guess you either damaged the keyboard cable or left it disconnected. We can give you pictures showing what it should be like once you have the new thread active.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.