NITRO 5 AN515-54-585H M.2 Nvme Pcie slot questions.

Options
Hotwheels
Hotwheels Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
This model comes with a 1tb HDD and no M.2 Nvme Pcie drives so I am wondering if it has functioning 2 M.2 Nvme PcIe slots  so I can add a couple M.2 drives to it and if the screws and heat shields for the M.2 Nvme Pcie drives are included or if I have to purchase them separately. I am considering purchasing it but will want to add 2 M.2 Nvme PcIe drives to it in the future.

Best Answers

• Elky64
    Elky64 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Your Nitro 5 is eerily similar to my AN515-54-55YM in terms of specs, only differentiator I could find is mine weights 0.20 KG more which is weird. Of course under the hood it could be a different story especially as to what PCIe slots it has.

In the case of mine, it had two PCIe slots both supporting M.2 NVMe SSD's while only one of those slots support an M.2 SATA SSD, clearly marked (see attached photo). Heat shield/screws are there too which my photo doesn't show.

So whether yours is the same I cannot say for sure. If it were me I'd be removing the bottom panel to make absolute sure, only 11 screw, and there's videos on YouTube showing tear down if you need a bit more guidance. In my opinion adding a M.2 NVMe (as boot drive) is a must you won't regret it... I've gone w/two M.2 NVMe drives as well as a 2.5" SATA SSD (replaces factory 1TB HDD), it's all or nothing LOL.

• Elky64

Tinkerer

Options

Your Nitro 5 is eerily similar to my AN515-54-55YM in regards to specs other than weight, mine is 0.20 Kg heavier for some reason. Under the hood it could be a different story though especially where the PCIe slots are concerned.

Mine has two PCIe slots both supporting M.2 NVMe SSD's while only one of those slots supports an M.2 SSD, clearly marked as seen by attached photo. Screws and heat shields were there although my photo don't depict that.

If I were you, and just to be sure, I’d remove bottom panel and check. Only 11 screws and if you need some further guidance there’s always YouTube.

Having an M.2 NVMe SSD, and making it your boot drive, is a “must do“ in my opinion. Definitely a lot more superior compared to a conventional HDD in terms of speed. I went w/two M.2 MVMe SSD's (one boot) and also replace 1TB factory drive with a SATA SSD, it was all-in or nothing LOL.

Answers

• Elky64

Tinkerer

Options
    Your Nitro 5 is eerily similar to my AN515-54-55YM in terms of specs, only differentiator I could find is mine weights 0.20 KG more which is weird. Of course under the hood it could be a different story especially as to what PCIe slots it has.

In the case of mine, it had two PCIe slots both supporting M.2 NVMe SSD's while only one of those slots support an M.2 SATA SSD, clearly marked (see attached photo). Heat shield/screws are there too which my photo doesn't show.

So whether yours is the same I cannot say for sure. If it were me I'd be removing the bottom panel to make absolute sure, only 11 screw, and there's videos on YouTube showing tear down if you need a bit more guidance. In my opinion adding a M.2 NVMe (as boot drive) is a must you won't regret it... I've gone w/two M.2 NVMe drives as well as a 2.5" SATA SSD (replaces factory 1TB HDD), it's all or nothing LOL.

• Elky64

Tinkerer

Options

Your Nitro 5 is eerily similar to my AN515-54-55YM in regards to specs other than weight, mine is 0.20 Kg heavier for some reason. Under the hood it could be a different story though especially where the PCIe slots are concerned.

Mine has two PCIe slots both supporting M.2 NVMe SSD's while only one of those slots supports an M.2 SSD, clearly marked as seen by attached photo. Screws and heat shields were there although my photo don't depict that.

If I were you, and just to be sure, I’d remove bottom panel and check. Only 11 screws and if you need some further guidance there’s always YouTube.

Having an M.2 NVMe SSD, and making it your boot drive, is a “must do“ in my opinion. Definitely a lot more superior compared to a conventional HDD in terms of speed. I went w/two M.2 MVMe SSD's (one boot) and also replace 1TB factory drive with a SATA SSD, it was all-in or nothing LOL.

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited January 2020
    Options
    As the Poster above correctly states, your model has two NVMe PCLe slots and one supports M2 SSD
    Note the two NVME PCLe slots in the screen below

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Elky64

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options
    Here's a broader shot w/bottom cover off, two PCIe slots w/heat shields on left side (middle)...

• Hotwheels
    Options
    Elky64 said:

THANKS Elky64! Looks like Acer went all out to makes things awesome to upgrade. I have seen a lot of posts with people stating their Nitro5 came with M.2 Nvme installed but no hard drive but all the parts such as the cable a screws to add a hard drive were included. Absolutely amazing that Nitro 5's with only a hard drive have everything needed to properly install M.2 Nvme PCIe drives!!
    I kind of broke the bank today and ended buying a Nitro 5 AN515-54-71FT I am second guessing my decision but it has an i7-9750, GTX1650, 512gb M.2 Nvme PCIe x4  but only 8gbs of ram (easy fix) and no hdd but the cable and screws are included in the box!! Price was $1099.00 Canadian. Seems like a smoking deal but it's probably more than I'll ever need so I am unsure if I will keep it. Setting it all up now. Windows updates forever so far!! Thanks so much for replying and the pics!
  • Hotwheels
    Options
    andylb said:
    As the Poster above correctly states, your model has two NVMe PCLe slots and one supports M2 SSD
    Note the two NVME PCLe slots in the screen below

Thanks andylb. I know you answered part of my question before but I had more to add.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Hotwheels No problem mate and if you need me to do a walkthrough setting up the Switchable Graphics in your Nvidia Control Center start a new Topic and I will be glad to help

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Elky64

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Options

Hotwheels said:
    THANKS Elky64! Looks like Acer went all out to makes things awesome to upgrade. I have seen a lot of posts with people stating their Nitro5 came with M.2 Nvme installed but no hard drive but all the parts such as the cable a screws to add a hard drive were included. Absolutely amazing that Nitro 5's with only a hard drive have everything needed to properly install M.2 Nvme PCIe drives!!
    I kind of broke the bank today and ended buying a Nitro 5 AN515-54-71FT I am second guessing my decision but it has an i7-9750, GTX1650, 512gb M.2 Nvme PCIe x4  but only 8gbs of ram (easy fix) and no hdd but the cable and screws are included in the box!! Price was $1099.00 Canadian. Seems like a smoking deal but it's probably more than I'll ever need so I am unsure if I will keep it. Setting it all up now. Windows updates forever so far!! Thanks so much for replying and the pics!
    You're welcome Hotwheels...

On the upgrade front yes Acer done good. Good deal on the Nitro 5 AN515-54-71FT missing that one, enjoy! Definitely would be upgrading the ram though to 16GB if it were me LOL.

I'm not longer a heavy hitter when it comes to computing so $700 CAD I paid for the AN515-54-55YM seemed more than reasonable, and what we saved went into upgrades (maxed the thing out).

• Hotwheels
    Options
    Elky64 said:

Hotwheels said:
    You're welcome Hotwheels...

On the upgrade front yes Acer done good. Good deal on the Nitro 5 AN515-54-71FT missing that one, enjoy! Definitely would be upgrading the ram though to 16GB if it were me LOL.

I'm not longer a heavy hitter when it comes to computing so $700 CAD I paid for the AN515-54-55YM seemed more than reasonable, and what we saved went into upgrades (maxed the thing out).

Yes I have never spent this kind of money on a lap top and I am not sure I'm ok with it. I have 15 days to return it though so we'll see.
  • Hotwheels
    Options
    andylb said:
    @Hotwheels No problem mate and if you need me to do a walkthrough setting up the Switchable Graphics in your Nvidia Control Center start a new Topic and I will be glad to help
    Ok thanks for the offer!!
  • Elky64

Tinkerer

Options
    Hotwheels said:
    Yes I have never spent this kind of money on a lap top and I am not sure I'm ok with it. I have 15 days to return it though so we'll see.

For what you are getting in terms of specs, upgradability, and Canadian pricing, I personally think you've done pretty good. The only thing you have to ask yourself is "what is my intended usage?" Answer that then you'll have a better idea whether something priced lower will suffice for your needs. But if you plan on some heavily intensive chores (gaming, video/photo editing, etc) then I'd stick with what you got.
  • Hotwheels
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes that is the question will I ever use to close to it's potential? On the other I have for a long time wanted to be able to edit photo's and family video's. I am also now very tempted to try some games which is not a good thing as I am old and have better things I should spend time on and so the Wifey doesn't kill me!!!  LOL
  • NCFRE
    NCFRE Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
     i Have AN515-54-585H

i have a question , for the second drive what do you install because it won’t recognize it. the first one i have installed is 
    Crucial MX500 M.2 Type 2280SS Disque SSD interne 1TB the second one it the same but i think it won't have 2 M.2 Drive
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @NCFREIdeally, you should create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)