Acer Nitro 5 not using dedicated RX 560X GPU

Options
Foxlight141
Foxlight141 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

My friend has the same laptop as me a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R5ED. For one reason or another not matter what we have tired, it will not use the dedicated card when playing a game. It just stays at 0%. All the drivers are up to date, we've tried a factory reset, tried launching the game from the Adrenalin 2020 software nothing works. Any help would be amazing, thanks. 

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Please confirm that you have done ALL the steps in my walkthrough below 

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon Foxlight141 !

This is just a matter of compatibility between the release version of Windows and the version of Adrenalin.
    I suggest you upgrade your Windows and then remove all drives with AMDCleanUp.
    Then install the same version of Adrenalin that is on your friend's laptop.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Foxlight141

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    Please confirm that you have done ALL the steps in my walkthrough below 

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

I've tried what you suggested and it still is not running the game off the dedicated graphics card. 
  • andylb
    Options
    Do what my friend @MaClane above says

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxlight141

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    Do what my friend @MaClane above says
    I have done that and I'm still having the same issue. 
  • andylb
    Options
    Question? Do you experience low fps, lag or stutter when playing demanding games?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxlight141

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    Question? Do you experience low fps, lag or stutter when playing demanding games?
    He's only been trying to play modded minecraft and 5M for GTA V when looking in task manager only the Vega 8 graphics is being used. 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    Options
    andylb said:
    He's only been trying to play modded minecraft and 5M for GTA V when looking in task manager only the Vega 8 graphics is being used. 

That answers my question, I have exactly the same laptop as you and have no problems, let me get some of my colleagues involved, I'm beginning to suspect a possible hardware issue. Is this a new laptop?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Foxlight141

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    andylb said:

That answers my question, I have exactly the same laptop as you and have no problems, let me get some of my colleagues involved, I'm beginning to suspect a possible hardware issue. Is this a new laptop?
    Yes it is a new laptop 
  • Foxlight141

Tinkerer

Options
    In device manager both GPU's are showing up and saying they are working properly for some reason it chooses to default to the Vega 8 GPU instead of the RX 560X GPU. I've not found a way to make it use the other one. I have the same exact laptop and mine is working just fine. 
  • andylb
    Options
    This sounds odd but try it anyway, press Fn + F4 to put the computer to sleep then press any key to wake it up and check again. If that doesn't work open the RAM door and reseat the RAM. These two odd things can often solve perplexing problems. If neither work I think it is a Hardware issue and I would use the Acer or Store Warranty

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• BunE
    BunE Member Posts: 107 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    My friend has the same laptop as me a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R5ED. For one reason or another not matter what we have tired, it will not use the dedicated card when playing a game. It just stays at 0%. All the drivers are up to date, we've tried a factory reset, tried launching the game from the Adrenalin 2020 software nothing works. Any help would be amazing, thanks. 
    I've also had this problem in the past. Minecraft doesn't have an exe it runs off java. Just add the exe file to the graphics settings and set it too high performance, by following the steps below.

For GTA V - press the Widows Button -> Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings -> Browse -> Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Grand Theft Auto V.exe -> Press Add -> Then set to high performance

For Minecraft - press the Widows Button -> Settings -> System -> Display -> Graphics Settings -> Browse -> Type %Appdata% in 'directory path' box -> AppData\Roaming\.launcher\jvms\jre1.8.0_51\bin -> then scroll down until you see javaw.exe and select -> Press Add -> Then set to high performance

Alternative For Minecraft if you don't see launcher file - Run Minecraft -> Open task manager -> Select and right-click on Java(TM) Platform SE Binary -> Open File Location -> Copy the directionary path -> Follow the step above until you reach browse -> Paste the directionary path -> scroll down until you see javaw.exe and select -> Press add -> Then set to high performance

If your computer doesn't still utilize the RX560X proceed too the following:

-Press the Nitro Sense key [N] on the Numpad 
    -Then set AC and Battery too High Performance

Adrenalin 2020 not long has switchable graphics settings, which the prior versions had. It was replaced by the Windows graphics settings

Note #1 Charging your laptop while on high performance will increase the performance significantly as seen below

High Performance (Not Charging)

High Performance (Charging)

I hope your problem has been resolved
  • BINAMDS
    BINAMDS Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hey my acer nitro 5 is using dedicated graphics anyway i had tried my best