How to remove/replace a keyboard Chromebook 15 CB5-571?

Options
DJB778
DJB778 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

There are several keys in the same row (q,w,e,r, and o) that no longer function on this unit.  I’ve removed the back case to check the keyboard ribbon cable and have even disconnected and reconnected it a couple times.  This hasn't fixed the problem.

I've also done a Powerwash -- twice.

Any experience or suggestions about removing/replacing the keyboard? I've looked online but don't find anything about removing the keyboard on a CB5-571  (It appears that there may be just two specialized screws on the underside that hold affix the keyboard frame.)

Thanks for any guidance.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,250 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The keyboard is integrated into that top assembly, so a replacement means pretty much removing everything from the base unit to replace the top cover/keyboard. Not for the faint of heart...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The keyboard is integrated into that top assembly, so a replacement means pretty much removing everything from the base unit to replace the top cover/keyboard. Not for the faint of heart...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DJB778
    DJB778 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks, billsey.  I was afraid that might be the issue. I'm not sure a 5+ year old Chromebook is worth the effort coupled with buying a replacement keyboard -- presuming that's really the problem!
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, new ones are cheap enough it's often not worth the effort and expense vs. a new system.