Acer Nitro 5(AN515-54) BIOS bricked ?

Julscm
Julscm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi,
I have a Nitro 5 with i5-9300h and 1660ti. I did a bios update because I had random BSODs.
The update went well, then the laptop rebooted to BIOS. I push F10 to reboot, since that, my Nitro is not booting anymore.
The laptop power on, FAN and keyboard on, then power off, and power on again with fan and keyboard on but that's all.
I try to launch a 'recovery bios procedure' but whitout success. I put usb key with the bin bios file,press FN+ESC, then power on.The FANS spinning at max so for me it seems working.
But nothing happens, the laptop power off, then power on again with fans and keyboard.

I don't know what to do and it's pretty embarrasing since this laptop has 2 months..

Thanks

Answers

• R3v0l357
    R3v0l357 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem. Had mine for 3 days. 
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Hi,

Please try the troubleshooting step mentioned in this link https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26240

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Julscm said:
    Hi,
    I have a Nitro 5 with i5-9300h and 1660ti. I did a bios update because I had random BSODs.
    The update went well, then the laptop rebooted to BIOS. I push F10 to reboot, since that, my Nitro is not booting anymore.
    The laptop power on, FAN and keyboard on, then power off, and power on again with fan and keyboard on but that's all.
    I try to launch a 'recovery bios procedure' but whitout success. I put usb key with the bin bios file,press FN+ESC, then power on.The FANS spinning at max so for me it seems working.
    But nothing happens, the laptop power off, then power on again with fans and keyboard.

I don't know what to do and it's pretty embarrasing since this laptop has 2 months..

Thanks
    The file should be renamed with extention *.fd(not*.bin). I assume you know the correct name of the file?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Julscm
    Julscm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Yeah I tried a hundred times, so many different ways, nothing successful, finally sent it to warranty and they fixed it

• Syntaxes43
    Syntaxes43 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I had the same issue, probably going to claim my warranty.
  • Syntaxes43
    Syntaxes43 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

batmalin said:
    Julscm said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    The file should be renamed with extention *.fd(not*.bin). I assume you know the correct name of the file?
    I downloaded the latest bios, my model is AN515-57 and there is 3 .fd files in the bios update archive.

There's:
    GH5XGx64_TI.fd
    GH5XGx64_RTK.fd
    GH5XGx64_NoPD.fd

Which one should i put to recover my BIOS?
    I have made a post concerning this issue in my case right here, maybe you can help, i'd appreciate it so much considering my laptop is only 6 months old
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited July 2022
    MULTI_FD]
    Flag=1
    FD#01=MEMORY,FF6680F8,FF000000,01000000,GH5XGx64_NoPD.fd
    FD#02=MEMORY,FE0B0828,0000FF00,00000300,GH5XGx64_NoPD.fd
    FD#03=ID,GH51G,GH5XGx64_TI.fd
    FD#04=ID,GH71G,GH5XGx64_RTK.fd
    FD#05=ID,GH53G,GH5XGx64_TI.fd
    FD#06=ID,GH73G,GH5XGx64_RTK.fd
    So GH5XGx64_TI.fd is for GH51G and GH53G models and GH5XGx64_RTK.fd is for GH71G and GH73G. The question is which model is your laptop.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• pyro9829123
    pyro9829123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    batmalin said:
    MULTI_FD]
    Flag=1
    FD#01=MEMORY,FF6680F8,FF000000,01000000,GH5XGx64_NoPD.fd
    FD#02=MEMORY,FE0B0828,0000FF00,00000300,GH5XGx64_NoPD.fd
    FD#03=ID,GH51G,GH5XGx64_TI.fd
    FD#04=ID,GH71G,GH5XGx64_RTK.fd
    FD#05=ID,GH53G,GH5XGx64_TI.fd
    FD#06=ID,GH73G,GH5XGx64_RTK.fd
    So GH5XGx64_TI.fd is for GH51G and GH53G models and GH5XGx64_RTK.fd is for GH71G and GH73G. The question is which model is your laptop.
    I tried with the TI file since I'm using an An 515 57. The fans ramped up for more seconds than usual, but then the pc went off abruptly. 
    Did this a few times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. 

It feels like I'm on the right path, but I'm missing something. Any ideas? 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Julscm said:
    Hi,

Thanks
    First, you never ever do a BIOS UPDATE to FIX any BSOD's and especially if you get BSOD's on your laptop, as while you will do a BIOS update your laptop could go into a BSOD and brick the laptop completely, and all BSOD errors have a code of what the BSOD is and you fix that particular error appropriately, as a BIOS UPDTE unless its title fixes that problem will do nothing and will do what's happened to your laptop! As you should never do a BIOS update just like a software update! I suggest that you study this MS article "Advanced troubleshooting for Windows boot problems" (do Method 2: Repair Boot Codes first and see if all these options will fix your booting problems?

Also and before you do the above, try to disconnect the main battery and the bios battery and leave them disconnected for 5 min, reconnect and see if the laptop boots? If it doesn't then it could be your Super IO chips programing is corrupted and that could be the problem as this chip is a programed chip that handles all the commands to starts up your laptop and that chip also commands the bios to start up the OS hence and where your problem could be that its programing is not executing the bios chip to boot your laptop.

These issues cant be fixed by a user like you or fixed with anything except by taking your laptop "seeing that its under Warranty" but remember that Acer warranty does NOT cover a wrongly updated BIOS as Acer categorically WARNS users to not update BIOS unnecessarily, so try anyway to get this fixed by Acer, don't touch and/or do anything else to this laptop as you will do more damage than fix anything!