Swift 3 running Win10 recognizes external monitor but monitor shows No Signal

RavenStreamer
RavenStreamer Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi folks, 

I'm trying to set up an external monitor (Acer X223W) with my wife's Swift 3 (SF314-55). I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter from the monitor to the Swift's HDMI port. Windows recognizes the monitor (shows up in Device manager, Display settings and the Intel graphics UI) but the monitor shows a "No Signal" error box floating about before going black. 

I have updated the drivers for the Intel UHD Graphics 620 to version 23.20.16.5038 and tried multiple adapters/cables but nothing works. The monitor is functioning as it works perfectly if  plug it into my (older) HP Pavilion laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Two possibilities come to mind... The DVI->HDMI cable might not be  HDMI->DVI cable, most of those types of cables only go one direction, so fail when plugged in backwards. It's also possible the computer is just not set to display on an external monitor. Hit Windows-P and make sure you are on Duplicate or Extend.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RavenStreamer

Tinkerer

Pretty sure the cables are fine as they work with other laptops. Swift is definitely set to multiple monitors on Duplicate. 

Just for kicks, I plugged the Swift to our tv via hdmi. Worked fine there. I am baffled as the X223W monitor works fine with other laptops. 
  • billsey
    Try Extend instead of Duplicate, there might be a resolution mismatch that's not up or down scaling correctly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RavenStreamer

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Try Extend instead of Duplicate, there might be a resolution mismatch that's not up or down scaling correctly.
    I have tried every setting possible but get the same No Signal message from the monitor  with the Swift. I have spent the better part of 6 hours on this but have achieved nothing. I bought the X223W because it is an Acer - so much for brand compatibility! 
  • billsey
    Sounds like it's more likely a problem with the monitor itself then. Either contact your vendor for a replacement or Acer service if you're too late for that and have them fix it.