Nitro AN515-53 laptop had extreme FPS drops in games, and the cause is unclear

Someone777777
Someone777777 Member Posts: 20 Networker
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
This has been a problem for about three months or more. My laptop suddenly started running every game I had at an FPS so low you could count the frames. The frustrating thing is, the cause of this sudden FPS drop is unclear! I've checked everything, got a bunch of software to detect my problems, I've put every game at the lowest settings possible, I've cleaned and defragged my laptop and the problem persists. The software I used came out with nothing, no problems at all. There were no software changes that I know of and I haven't touched the hardware, its been the same hardware as what It was out of the box.

specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 8300H 2.30 GHz
Graphics: Intel(R) UHD graphics 630
(this information still doesn't make sense to me, tell me if more is required)

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    You are probably running your games on the Dedicated Intel UHD card instead of the Discrete Nvidia card

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

Please click YES if I answer your question, thankyou

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    andylb said:
    You are probably running your games on the Dedicated Intel UHD card instead of the Discrete Nvidia card

Make sure you do this below and always game on 100% battery BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming, in your Windows Power plan select High Performance when on AC and in Nitrosense make sure High performance is selected under "AC" tab

Please click YES if I answer your question, thankyou

1. Download and install the latest Nvidia drivers from here and do not install GEforce experience, instead check the link every month for updated drivers
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx. Geforce Experience causes problems for some people

2. Go to the Nvidia control center and click Manage 3d settings tab, then click the Global Settings tab and change Preferred Graphics processor from Auto select to your Nvidia GPU, do this by clicking the downward arrow to the right of Auto Select and select the Nvidia GPU. Then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Do the same under the Set PhysX Configuration tab

I tried to get the nvidia drivers, but geforce keeps saying i dont meet the requirements to install it, either it's lying or something is wrong
  • andylb
    Open Device Manager then click Display Adaptors, is the Nvidia card in the list?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    no, the Nvidia card is nowhere to be seen. It ceased to exist
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    Do this and tell me if it shows now. Also what is your BIOS version

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    i cant view the card even when i clicked show hidden devices. my version is 1.19
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    You have an outdated BIOS version. Go here and download the V 1.28
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1
    Create a new folder on your desk top and unzip the downloaded file to the new folder, in the new folder double click the file "WIN" then double click the .exe file ending in "X64.exe"

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777

It still doesn't appear even after updating to the newest version.
  • Someone777777
    So what can I do to fix this issue, or is it not possible to fix? Do i have to send my laptop in to be fixed?
  • andylb
    Do a fresh Windows install, reboot and press Alt + F10 at startup and select Keep Files, After the install repeat the GPU setup process I outlined above

Please click YES if I answer your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    I reinstalled Windows 10 and was forced to lose all of my files. My laptop actually became worse than ever before. The Microsoft store would open with an error message saying it couldn't load, everything was exactly the same, but way worse. My laptop was, I think, damaged by the reinstallation. It's become so bad I became unwilling to try to fix it. I'm officially done with trying to fix my laptop's issues, and probably won't use it again.

You have nothing to do with this, I'm just frustrated and confused and need a break.
  • andylb
    I'm sorry about that, take a break and when your ready to try again let us know

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    edited January 2020
    It broke itself beyond repair. It can barely work on it's own and it's now nearly impossible to access the internet. No point in trying to fix it because more problems will appear as I go. Thanks for your help, but fixing this laptop would be a waste of time, it's more useless than a brick at this point. It's not even the graphics driver that's the problem anymore it's the entire laptop. Somehow every piece of software collectively decided to work horribly. I'm done trying to fix it, it can sit in the back of my closet for all I care. Again, not your fault, and thank you for trying to help me.
  • andylb
    Are you still under warranty?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Someone777777
    I do. (The website is forcing me to attach an image for some reason so here's the warranty info)
  • Someone777777
    nevermind, but here it is anyway
  • andylb
    edited January 2020

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★