me Acer E15 (e5-575-5493) won't charge

QSB
QSB Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
for a long time, had to have the charger just right with the plug slightly out.  Now first got the blinking orange charge light with charger in or out.  reset it with the paperclip in the little hole.  also tried power button 15 sec, then off for 5+ minutes.   Now blinking orange charge light isn't there, but can't get the laptop to charge no matter how long apparently i fiddle with positioning the charger.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Are you sure the charger itself hasn't failed?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • QSB
    Thanks and good point.  However I don't think the charger is the problem especially since I just got a new charger thinking the old one was the issue.  It displays the power light on the charger body.   Also, and perhaps more importantly, I tried again and if I have it so the charger is just barely in and wiggle it the blinking orange light goes on, and the solid light (at least I assume that is what the orange light next to the blinking one is) comes on for a bit but then the charger plug - which is just barely in the laptop - moves maybe or something else happens so it doesn't stay on.   Grrr.  Thanks again though!
  • billsey
    Was the replacement supply Acer branded or a generic? Measure the length of the barrel to verify it sticks in far enough. Spec calls for a 45W 19V 1.7x5.5x11mm supply, so the barrel needs to be 11mm long or longer. Too short and it won't push the spring clip over enough to make good contact with the center electrode. Same thing if the opening in the barrel is too wide, but that's less common than being too short.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • QSB
    Thank you very much and an excellent thought.  But, no.   The barrel is more than a half-inch long.  Plus, it only engages at all when it is almost completely withdrawn from the machine, such that it is about to fall out.   But, it was a very good thought.   Maybe i can try putting some sort of conductivity gel on the barrel to enhance the contact?
  • billsey
    The way the barrel and socket are supposed to work together is the barrel slides in over the center pin in the socket, making some potential contact but not solid. When it's in far enough the outer surface hits a piece of spring metal that pushes sideways on the connector. This sideways push is what causes the inner barrel to get good contact with the center pin. The + power goes from the inner surface of the barrel to the center pin and then into the laptop, the - power connects through the outer surface of the barrel to the spring pushing against it. If yours is only working when the barrel is in slightly it means the spring isn't working. In order for you to get much contact at all the plug has to be cocked at an angle to force the inner surface against the pin. Sometimes with a light held just so you can see into the socket enough to see the spring. If it's flattened that's where the issue lies. I haven't been into your model enough to see if there's any way to get the spring bent more so you could get things working well again without replacing the socket.