HDD not being recognized by Windows or BIOS - model: PH-317-53

oobula
oobula Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just got a WD Blue, 2 TB hdd along with a Crucial 1 TB ssd. The ssd works great, went through disk management and partitioned it fine and it's running.

The WD Blue does not show up at all in disk management, Windows just does not recognize it in any way, shape, or form. So I googled around, and a lot of places say that this could be for 2 reasons: 1, it's not seated correctly and the SATA cable is not plugged in correctly. So I've re-sat the cable 3 or 4 times and I'm confident that it's plugged in correctly. The second option was that the drive needs to be enabled in BIOS (usually in something called 'integrated peripherals'). But I can't find that in the BIOS, really I can't find anything there and I have no idea what I'm looking at. My BIOS is version 1.08, the latest for my model.

I happened to have a 2.5 inch SATA hdd enclosure, so I put the hdd into that and plugged it in, and it does spin up and is recognized by Windows. It shows in disk management when plugged into usb. So I know it's not a dead drive.

So I'm left with 2 possibilities: a bad SATA cable came with my laptop, or I have to do something in the BIOS and have absolutely no idea what it is or how to do it and would appreciate any help you guys could provide on that.

Best Answer

• oobula
    Answer ✓
    Ok lol this is embarrassing but after watching another video about how to install a hdd, I saw that he was pushing the SATA cable in way more than I was. So after my 5th or so re-seating of the hdd, it works.

So I guess this is solved! I knew it couldn't be as complicated as I was making it or there would be way more discussion of how to do it around here.

Answers

• oobula
    Answer ✓
    Ok lol this is embarrassing but after watching another video about how to install a hdd, I saw that he was pushing the SATA cable in way more than I was. So after my 5th or so re-seating of the hdd, it works.

So I guess this is solved! I knew it couldn't be as complicated as I was making it or there would be way more discussion of how to do it around here.