My aspire 5560 is starting again and again.

Agentaspire
Agentaspire Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My PC ist starting and showing this:
than the PC ist starting again and showing the Same picture and again and again.
Can someone help me?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Press F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Then press F9 to load BIOS defaults. Then press F10 to save BIOS settings and exit. Your system should then load Windows OK. Until the next time you shut it off overnight. Then you might have to go through the same routine. Your BIOS lithium coin battery probably needs to be replaced on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

Agentaspire said: I cant start BIOS.JackE said:
    Press F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Then press F9 to load BIOS defaults. Then press F10 to save BIOS settings and exit. Your system should then load Windows OK. Until the next time you shut it off overnight. Then you might have to go through the same routine. Your BIOS lithium coin battery probably needs to be replaced on the mainboard. Jack E/NJ

My PC ist starting and showing this:
    than the PC ist starting again and showing the Same picture and again and again.
    Can someone help me?
    I cant start BIOS.
  • JackE
    Shut the machine off again. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F2 key. Don't wait for the same message to appear or it will be too late. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

I tried it but it doesnt help.
  • JackE
    Do you mean the F2 key is unresponsive even when tapping it immediately after turning the machine on? If yes, shut the machine off again. Then depress and hold the F2 key. While still holding the F2 key, turn the machine on.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

This doesnt help
  • JackE
    Sounds like your keyboard's ribbon cable has come loose from the mainboard. Google 'aspire 5560' 'disassembly' 'keyboard' for instructions on how to reseat the KB connector Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

No, Keyboard is working when i press f2 it beeps 1 time and than the pc is starting. Even if i dont do anything the pc is restarting.

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

Restarting
  • JackE
    When you shut the machine off, then turn it back on without doing anything, does it also beep? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

No it isnt beeping when i do nothing

• biffington
    biffington Member Posts: 4 New User
    Just registered for this forum; I have the same laptop and a similar issue. The laptop freezes/becomes unresponsive every time I start it up, usually at the startup/login screen (or just afterwards) but it eventually unfreezes after a few minutes and then everything works as it should. Occasionally it has the same freezing issue when shutting down. I have tried various different things to narrow down the issue or solve the problem (including updating drivers and disabling different onboard devices) but I'm unable to solve it. Additionally, I cannot access the bios no matter what I try - the same screen as above loads on startup but F2 (or any other button) never works and the pc either boots from the hard drive, or if I disconnect it, gets stuck in a bootloop saying no operating system found. Possibly the most frustrating issue I've ever come across. I've even disassembled the laptop and tried removing the cmos battery to see if it will reset the bios that way but that doesn't work either. How the hell do you manage to design a laptop where you can't access the bios??
  • JackE
    Yeah, these machines are old enough that the lithium coin cell might be less than 3v. Did you measure cell voltage? Also, to discharge the chip to a hopefully default state, the coin cell connectors on the mainboard need to be shorted and the power button depressed for about 30 seconds. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• biffington
    Ok I managed to access bios by reflashing it to the same version (1.15) using the winflash utility on the acer website. I have a slightly different model 5560g to the OP (a6-3420m) so I would double check you have exactly the right model number before flashing the bios
  • biffington
    edited December 2019
    Even better news, I seemed to have fixed the freezing issue by turning the graphics in the bios from "switchable" to "onboard". Means that the HD7670M graphics card can't be used but the onboard HD6520G will do just fine for what I need it for
  • JackE
    Thanks but that's not gonna help the OP unless he uses the FN+ESC method. This is rarely successful especially when it looks like somewhere along the line the wrong BIOS version was flashed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• biffington
    edited December 2019
    If I was the OP I would first try removing the hard drive, then try a different hard drive to see if the laptop boots from that or alternatively use a usb install version of windows to see if it will boot from usb. Unless there is another way to flash the bios they will need to be able to get into windows or dos to run it. A reflash of the V1.17 bios may fix the F2 key not working issue
  • JackE
    I doubt it. You see  v1.17 is for some other laptop on the ACER site, not the 5560 or 5560G. It looks like the wrong winflash utility was used on this machine. Perhaps the OP can explain how this happened. The only option now seems to be the FN+ESC cold boot USB flash technique by extracting the binary flash file from the v1.15 winflash utility. .Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Agentaspire

Tinkerer

I tried to flash the bios bith the Fn+Esc methode, but it doesnt work. I dont know if i did a mistake.
  • JackE
    So how do you think the v1.17 got in there since it's not listed for the Aspire 5560 or 5560G? And if you tried to use the FN+ESC method, what binary file did you use, where did you get it,  and what filename did you give it on the USB pendrive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ