Acer Nitro 5 therrmal paste or something?

Rancesco
Rancesco Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

So, this is second question about my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-55NZ. So, i had issue with CPU temps so i wanted to change thermal paste which i did today. Didn't have time to test it jet, only in one game but temp are little lower now. I will post test results in 1,2 days just to make sure that is ok now.
But,when i opened my laptop i did saw something strange. I cleaned it before this picture was taken but this pink mass was all over this 4 chips...(you can figure it out on pics.). I saw many youtube videos and never seen something like this..
Can someone tell me what is this?

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Rancesco said:
    Still to high? :(
    Battlefield V - ultra sett.

HIGH? That's perfect, 57 deg and 45 deg. Those temperatures are so good they would be considered LOW. Anything consistently below 90 deg is within range for your model. Those temperatures are perfect

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓
    I get mid 80s on high performance mode but it freaks me out when I see it consistency run at 88-91. That’s the only reason why I started running it on balanced. I’m still getting 40-50fps on high/ultra setting w/mods on GTAV running balanced. I pla on repasting one last time with Grizzly Kryo and Arctic pads on the four chips then running high performance again, it definitely runs faster. 
    I get mid 80s on high performance mode but it freaks me out when I see it consistency run at 88-91. That’s the only reason why I started running it on balanced. I’m still getting 40-50fps on high/ultra setting w/mods on GTAV running balanced. I pla on repasting one last time with Grizzly Kryo and Arctic pads on the four chips then running high performance again, it definitely runs faster. 

Good show. Undervolting the CPU is a far better option than Balanced Mode because it allows you to reduce CPU performance in tiny increments until you hit the sweet spot, so try undervolting using Intel XTU or a similar program, reduce it to -0.180v, -0.175v in steps, -0.150 is usually about right and has been shown to drop temps to around 80 deg

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    Rancesco said:
    andylb said:

Good show. Undervolting the CPU is a far better option than Balanced Mode because it allows you to reduce CPU performance in tiny increments until you hit the sweet spot, so try undervolting using Intel XTU or a similar program, reduce it to -0.180v, -0.175v in steps, -0.150 is usually about right and has been shown to drop temps to around 80 deg
    Thanks for this. I am currently on UV -150V, i will try to go on 170v or 180v..hope it will be stable. And should we disable Intel turbo boost or limit cpu on 99%?

Try the undervolt first and if your not happy with the result limit CPU to 99% and/or disable Turboboost

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Rancesco

Tinkerer

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    Rancesco said:

HIGH? That's perfect, 57 deg and 45 deg. Those temperatures are so good they would be considered LOW. Anything consistently below 90 deg is within range for your model. Those temperatures are perfect

Please click YES if I have answered your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Garnett21B
    Garnett21B Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Rancesco said:
    So, this is second question about my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-55NZ. So, i had issue with CPU temps so i wanted to change thermal paste which i did today. Didn't have time to test it jet, only in one game but temp are little lower now. I will post test results in 1,2 days just to make sure that is ok now.
    But,when i opened my laptop i did saw something strange. I cleaned it before this picture was taken but this pink mass was all over this 4 chips...(you can figure it out on pics.). I saw many youtube videos and never seen something like this..

So I see you spiked at 92 c with battlefield. Have you changed the stock pink paste on memory chips with thermal pads? I have the same problem as you and I fought about giving it to Acer service center in my city but they have really bad rating and I've read a lot of complaints so I don't know if they will actually solve my problems or destroy my laptop. Did you solve your problem?
  • Rancesco

Tinkerer

Rancesco said:

So I see you spiked at 92 c with battlefield. Have you changed the stock pink paste on memory chips with thermal pads? I have the same problem as you and I fought about giving it to Acer service center in my city but they have really bad rating and I've read a lot of complaints so I don't know if they will actually solve my problems or destroy my laptop. Did you solve your problem?

Yes, Battlefileld sometimes goes to 92,93C than instantly return on 79,80...82...85C.... My friend have computer store here in my town (i am from Serbia) so i finished everything there. Changed thermal paste (Arctic MX-4...very hard to find Thermal grizzly here...) and i put thermal pads because there was insane amount of pink paste all over memory chips and next to the memory chips...Same with thermal paste on CPU and GPU..someone put really big amount on thermal paste. We have Acer service center in Serbia to, but they are really really bad and law here is little strange so they can say whatever they want instead solve the problem. I don't know but i don't think i have warranty anymore because i opened laptop on my own...
    But, back on temps. After all this temps are little lower but not much... Battlefield V still spikes to 92,93C... Other games Doom - 70C max. I saw youtube videos when they tested Acer Nitro 5 on Doom and temps. are going to 93C, so i guess my temps are very nice. Evil Within also around 70C... Battlefield 1 spikes to 90C max. Idle temps are around 37 - 40C so i guess this is great too. Did i mentioned i did UV on -150v.
    Don't know anymore, i guess they are build to work like this with high temps... I asked many people here on forum and people who work with computers and answer is the same, they work on high temp.
    Didn't tried to disable intel turbo boost because i think it's effects performance or to limit processor work rate on 99%

• ksonghasun
    ksonghasun Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Rancesco said:

Rancesco said:

Yes, Battlefileld sometimes goes to 92,93C than instantly return on 79,80...82...85C.... My friend have computer store here in my town (i am from Serbia) so i finished everything there. Changed thermal paste (Arctic MX-4...very hard to find Thermal grizzly here...) and i put thermal pads because there was insane amount of pink paste all over memory chips and next to the memory chips...Same with thermal paste on CPU and GPU..someone put really big amount on thermal paste. We have Acer service center in Serbia to, but they are really really bad and law here is little strange so they can say whatever they want instead solve the problem. I don't know but i don't think i have warranty anymore because i opened laptop on my own...
    But, back on temps. After all this temps are little lower but not much... Battlefield V still spikes to 92,93C... Other games Doom - 70C max. I saw youtube videos when they tested Acer Nitro 5 on Doom and temps. are going to 93C, so i guess my temps are very nice. Evil Within also around 70C... Battlefield 1 spikes to 90C max. Idle temps are around 37 - 40C so i guess this is great too. Did i mentioned i did UV on -150v.
    Don't know anymore, i guess they are build to work like this with high temps... I asked many people here on forum and people who work with computers and answer is the same, they work on high temp.
    Didn't tried to disable intel turbo boost because i think it's effects performance or to limit processor work rate on 99%

I did exactly as you did with the same results. Pink paste was also replaced with Mx-4. Im no linger running it on ‘high performane’ but instead on acer balanced and Im comfortable with it. The videos and hiw tos out there dont specify whether they run their power settings on high performance or on balanced. Balanced stays below 55degreesC for me. With fans off or low. 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    @ksonghasun said
     I did exactly as you did with the same results. Pink paste was also replaced with Mx-4. Im no linger running it on ‘high performane’ but instead on acer balanced and Im comfortable with it. The videos and hiw tos out there dont specify whether they run their power settings on high performance or on balanced. Balanced stays below 55degreesC for me. With fans off or low. 
    Happy that you got your temps down but Balanced does not get the best performance from your CPU and 55 deg is a really low temp, you should be aiming for the low to mid 80's, your CPU will not run at it's full potential when on Balanced. If you can run on High performance and stay in the low to mid 80's you will be well within the temperature spec for your model and you will get better game performance. Right now you own a Ferrari and your driving it like a Mini B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Rancesco

Tinkerer

I set Nitrosense on High performance with coolboost on, and Fan control on Auto. I read this forum a lot and i think many suggested this settings.
  • andylb
    Rancesco said:

I set Nitrosense on High performance with coolboost on, and Fan control on Auto. I read this forum a lot and i think many suggested this settings.

@Ranseco You have it right, High Performance with fans on Max or Auto and Coolboost on, monitor your temperatures and aim for the mid 80's. You will get the best gaming experience this way, see my post above

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ksonghasun

Tinkerer

• andylb
    edited January 2020 Answer ✓

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Rancesco

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    andylb said:

Thanks for this. I am currently on UV -150V, i will try to go on 170v or 180v..hope it will be stable. And should we disable Intel turbo boost or limit cpu on 99%?

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    Rancesco said:
    andylb said:

Try the undervolt first and if your not happy with the result limit CPU to 99% and/or disable Turboboost

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ksonghasun

Tinkerer

I attempted undervolting last night, -150mV eventually froze and crashed after 30 minutes of gameplay. I found my sweet spot at -140mV, temps were good, 75-80degreesC, barely hit mid 80s.

I re-pasted w/ the Grizzly Kryonaut (CPU and GPU) and applied new Arctic 1.0mm thermal pads on the four chips, that originally had pink paste on it, today. I'm running high performance very comfortably now. On GTAV w/ high+ultra settings, MSAAx4 + Nvidia TXAA and various mods including visual graphic mods. After running long enough to estimate average temps, I'm low to mid 70s w/ a few spikes to 78/79 then drops back to low 70s. Turbo boost is still on.
  • Rancesco

Tinkerer

At the end i limited CPU on 99% on Power settings and temps are really great.. never over 70C (Battlefield V and 1, Evil Within 2, Blair Witch...). If there some better way to disable Intel Turbo Boost without CPU limit please share :)
  • andylb
    Rancesco said:
    At the end i limited CPU on 99% on Power settings and temps are really great.. never over 70C (Battlefield V and 1, Evil Within 2, Blair Witch...). If there some better way to disable Intel Turbo Boost without CPU limit please share :)

@Rancesco It seems that I answered your question so kindly click YES, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Sworup
    Sworup Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2020
    Hey so I'm not sure if I'll get any replies but I am thinking about replacing the thermal bulk with thermal pads. What I want to know is the places to apply them. I know above the VRMs is where I'll have to apply those but I don't want to mess up. Are there any photos or video for the process? I wanna know how to apply the thermal pads.

The bulk dried up really quick when I tried to repaste and now my GPU cranks up to 87C(yes the GPU, not CPU) as soon as the frequency goes over 1395Mhz. Currently I cannot even play any games due to the GPU temp ramping up. Any help will be appreciated. 
  • Sworup
    Sworup Member Posts: 3 New User
    Also in https://youtu.be/A3Gl_f5LpSY  this video. He says replacing the pink paste with thermal pads will cause the ether VRAMs to over heat becasue of the height difference. So did you notice this while repasting? What caution do I need to take?
  • PaskovAleksandar
    PaskovAleksandar Member Posts: 3 New User
    Rancesco said:

Rancesco said:

Hey, 

What I did is repaste the CPU and GPU with Noctua, throw away all stock thermal pads, replaced with thermal grease K5 Pro. A little messy but it gives me better results. Also, I undervolt my CPU and Cache with -140.4 .  I overclock a bit my GPU with +140 and memory with +200. 

I play battlefield 1, I tried many variants when it comes repasting and undervolting... I have had open my motherboard for a couple of times to figure out what I'm making wrong about these temps. 

Also you must be careful how much you tight the screws. Overtightening will make heat because the paste will squeeze all over, and you can damage the chips. I tried not to overtight the heatsink and now I have better results with heating. 

So I was getting on Battlefield 1  ( 92 C ) even more. 
    Now I have max 82C on Medium settings.  

Im not a fan of turning of the turboboost because you lose so much performance. 
    Hope I helped. 

Thermal pads are maybe good, but you need to be sure of their thickness. Also, I think the thermal grease ( paste ) have better thermal conductivity. 

Pozdrav. 

This discussion has been closed.