Question about audio and Acer Chromebox

Options
brinkeguthrie
brinkeguthrie Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
CBox works great. Question: I am going to assume that the headphone jack in the front is where you also plug the speakers mini-plug? It plays audio just fine. But I noticed if the unit is powered down and I turn on the speaker volume, I get a loud BZZZZZZ. I don't hear it when the unit is powered up. Am I missing something?  Here is the CBox I just bought. My Bose speakers mini plug is going into the headphone jack; I don't see where else it can go.  

https://amzn.to/2EWK4K1

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check your power. The buzz is likely caused by a problem with the ground. Is the Chromebox plugged into the same outlet as the speakers? Is the outlet on the wall, a surge arrester strip or a UPS? What else is plugged into the Chromebox?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brinkeguthrie
    Options
    they are plugged into different places. i have a keyboard, mouse, and Seagate plugged into it
  • billsey
    Options
    Different places as in two outlets on the wall, two different surge arrestors, something different? We're looking for some way there could be a ground loop between the two devices.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • brinkeguthrie
    Options
    I have them plugged into two different places. It just seems like it shouldn't give out a BZZZZZZ thru the Bose speakers when the unit is turned off.
  • billsey
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Electrically the audio output is driven low or high in concert with the sound waves that need to be generated. When the system is on with no audio output those signals are driven one way or the other and held there. When you turn the system off the signals float, which is where the ground loop can get you. If your power supply to both devices isn't correctly grounded or your hot and common are switched you can easily have a fair mount of voltage potential sitting there, which is shown by the speakers sounding static. There are lots of things that can be the root cause, the wall socket wiring, an extension cord, surge arrester or UPS that's getting old, the house wiring, etc... The solution is to either clean up the wiring enough to meet code or isolate the power going to both devices from each other.