Acer Extensa 2508 laptop flickers on starting or restarting

Nigella
Nigella Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello all,

I have a problem with my Acer Extensa 2508 laptop. After an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it was failing to restart, and later on, the pointer disappeared, then I fixed the issue it was solved.
I then changed the OS and installed Windows 10 32 bit. The OS was restarting very well with the pointer appearing, but it was flickering on startup or restarting... that's when the problem started, till now. I then downloaded Windows 10 64 bit OS on the net, installed it but still it flickers. I also installed Windows 8.1 thinking it will run smoothly, but no changes.
I've tried everything I could, but I can't find the solution. Please help me.

Thanks. 

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    @Nigella can you capture a video showing the problem? Is it just the mouse pointer that flickers or the whole screen? Is it a fast flicker, jerky movement, or disappear then reappear after a bit? When you did the switch from 32bit to 64bit did you find all the drivers on Acer's website or did you get them elsewhere? The system shipped with Windows 8.1 64bit IIRC, so the W10 upgrade should have forced you to the 64bit version.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, that sounds like a screen resolution or refresh mismatch. The display output during POST is purposely set to a minimum value, so it'll work on all monitors. Perhaps your screen doesn't like being so low. :)
    I'd continue with the W10 and get any missing drivers from the Acer site before trying to update past those versions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    @Nigella can you capture a video showing the problem? Is it just the mouse pointer that flickers or the whole screen? Is it a fast flicker, jerky movement, or disappear then reappear after a bit? When you did the switch from 32bit to 64bit did you find all the drivers on Acer's website or did you get them elsewhere? The system shipped with Windows 8.1 64bit IIRC, so the W10 upgrade should have forced you to the 64bit version.
  • Nigella

Tinkerer

@billsey, it's the whole screen flickering with a fast flicker. When the Acer logo shows, the screen goes OFF, ON, OFF then ON and starts loading to the sign in menu. After that, it works fine.

After an upgrade to Windows 10 32bit to Windows 64bit, I didn't install the drivers from Acer website.

Thanks also for researching the OS which was installed in the system when it was shipped. So should I reinstall the Windows 8.1 64 bit or I just continue to set up Windows 10 OS?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, that sounds like a screen resolution or refresh mismatch. The display output during POST is purposely set to a minimum value, so it'll work on all monitors. Perhaps your screen doesn't like being so low. :)
    I'd continue with the W10 and get any missing drivers from the Acer site before trying to update past those versions.
  • Nigella

Tinkerer

@billsey Thanks very much for the reply. I tried adjusting the screen resolution too, but nothing changed. So how do I set the display output?
    I also downloaded the display drivers from the Acer website, but nothing changed.

So what should I do next? Please help.

Thanks.
  • billsey
    edited December 2019
    Does it ever happen once Windows is loaded, or only during that initial boot splash screen? If only during the splash screen I'd just ignore it.
  • Nigella

Tinkerer

@billsey Hello there, thanks for the response. It only happens during boot splash screen when Windows starts. So is it not a problem I just ignore it like you said?
  • billsey
    Yeah, I'd just ignore it, it's not going to affect anything unless you need to interact with the boot screen. The Windows splash screen doesn't display until after POST, so you can still get into BIOS if needed.
  • Nigella

Tinkerer

@billsey Thanks very much for the info. I'm now relieved after learning that it won't affect anything 'coz that was my worry, I thought maybe it will damage or affect the machine. Now since it won't affect anything as you said, I'll just ignore it and continue using it. Thanks very much for the info, that was helpful. Best regards.