Acer Nitro 7 plugged in but not charging

OMGLeto
OMGLeto Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
So i've had my Acer Nitro 7 (715-51) for a few months now, since around September
recently as of about a week ago when its plugged in it just says "Plugged In" no mention of the charge time or if its charging

if i unplug it it will drain as normal and even mention how much time is left on the charge but the % of the charge remains the same when its plugged in for hours.

i manage to get it to work again for about 3 days after doing a battery reset (powering off and holding the power button and then restarting and letting it do its funky start up) but any attempts to do this since have failed to fix the problem. i REALLY want to avoid sending the laptop in because i need it in my daily life so any help to avoid that would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Have you uninstalled the ac adapter and battery drivers in device manager?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OMGLeto
    Have you uninstalled the ac adapter and battery drivers in device manager?
    i tried that before but ill give that a try again, it didnt help the last time xD
  • Have you tried updating the drivers? What is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • OMGLeto
    Have you tried updating the drivers? What is the bios version?
    i uninstalled the two devices in the device manager and also right clicked and tried updating the drivers for them but it said they were both up to date. no change in the weird not charging thing. im not sure where to see my bios version
  • Hi! Have you tried resetting the battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    The bios version you can find at acer care center.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OMGLeto
    Hi! Have you tried resetting the battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    The bios version you can find at acer care center.
    this version of the Acer Nitro doesnt have a battery pinhole, i did the method that was to turn off the laptop, hold the power button for 15 seconds and then turn the system on again though

acer care center says my BIOS is V1.05
  • To perform the following procedure you must have an account with administrator privileges. In addition, if the machine is used with more than one user it will be necessary to repeat the process for each one of them. Check out the process:
    Reproduo
    Hit the "Win + R" keys to open the run and type: regedit. Hit "Enter";

reproduction
    From the left menu, go to the following path: Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Now double click on “EnergyEstimationDisabled”;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Change its value to "0" and click "Ok";
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Turn around the "Registry Editor" screen, double-click "EnergyEstimationEnabled." If it does not appear, you must create it. This can be done by right-clicking on a blank space and using the option “New> DWORD Value (32 bits)”;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Set its value to "1" and click "Ok";
    Reproduo
    reproduction

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OMGLeto
    To perform the following procedure you must have an account with administrator privileges. In addition, if the machine is used with more than one user it will be necessary to repeat the process for each one of them. Check out the process:
    Reproduo
    Hit the "Win + R" keys to open the run and type: regedit. Hit "Enter";

reproduction
    From the left menu, go to the following path: Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Now double click on “EnergyEstimationDisabled”;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Change its value to "0" and click "Ok";
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Turn around the "Registry Editor" screen, double-click "EnergyEstimationEnabled." If it does not appear, you must create it. This can be done by right-clicking on a blank space and using the option “New> DWORD Value (32 bits)”;
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    Set its value to "1" and click "Ok";
    Reproduo
    reproduction
    hmm theres no option for EnergyEstimationDisabled, i only have enabled and its set to "1" already
  • OMGLeto
    i added the entry for energyestimationdisabled myself and set it to zero, the restarted my laptop. still says "laptop plugged in" but its not charging
  • OK! Undo previous changes to regedit. Does the problem remain when updating windows?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OMGLeto
    OK! Undo previous changes to regedit. Does the problem remain when updating windows?
    windows update says im currently up to date
  • Have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OMGLeto
    Have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    last time i reinstalled windows and reset the battery it worked but if i have to do that every 3 days to get the laptop to continue charging i will kill myself lol
  • OMGLeto
    im resetting windows now. thisll be the 3rd time ive had to reset up my laptop since getting it x.x
  • Are you using windows 10 version 1909? Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• OMGLeto
    reinstalling windows and reseting the battery again didnt work
  • OMGLeto
    Are you using windows 10 version 1909? Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites?
    windows is at 1909 nvidia should be the latest and intel id have to check
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I suspect either a bad battery or a bad charger. Too eliminate a bad charger try and find another charger and see if that works, you may have to go to a local store and ask if you can plug it in there. If the charger works it is a bad battery. By this process of elimination you will one or the other or even both and replacement should be covered under warranty

Please click YES if I have answered your question

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• OMGLeto
    andylb said:
    I suspect either a bad battery or a bad charger. Too eliminate a bad charger try and find another charger and see if that works, you may have to go to a local store and ask if you can plug it in there. If the charger works it is a bad battery. By this process of elimination you will one or the other or even both and replacement should be covered under warranty

Please click YES if I have answered your question
    yeah nothing has worked so im gonna have to send it in under warranty which i really wanted to avoid x.x