Notebook Microphone Extremely Soft (Microphone volume is at 100) (Acer Swift 3)

Options
JustinNg88
JustinNg88 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there,

I just bought an Acer Swift 3 Notebook (Specifically Swift SF314-57), and the microphone on this is extremely soft. I've tried it in voice recorder, in an online microphone test, and in Skype. Only when I am speaking extremely loudly 2cm away from the notebook, then I can hear myself, and even then it's very faintly.

I have checked that the default input device is the Microphone Array (Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST)), I have gone into sound control panel, opened up the microphone, increased the level to maximum 100 (there is no "microphone boost" option).
I have checked and unchecked the options under advanced: "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Enable audio enhancements"

I have checked that all audio drivers are updated.

I have installed the SmartAudio 3 Audio utility from Acer's product page, and changed the settings there (under Microphone Effects, toggled between "disable all sound effects" and "personal call"). I've toggled Multistreaming (Make internal and external output devices playback two different audio streams)

NOTHING. Has worked.

Does ANYONE have any solutions for this. This is ridiculous. It's a brand new laptop.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• JustinNg88
    JustinNg88 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi all, if anyone else runs into this same issue even after trying all the steps i mentioned above,

I managed to get my microphone working. What fixed it was doing a full windows system reset (even though the microphone wasn't working right out of the box when I first turned on the laptop). I've no idea why that fixed it. But it did...

Hope this helps somebody. And if you get a new laptop, test out the microphone first before you start setting it up and using it. I was lucky because I hadn't made many changes before having to do the full reset.