Acer Aspire 5 HDMI digital display audio shows not plugged in

Stacks
Stacks Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
I am unable to locate my particular problem on any forum or site.  I'm exhausted trying to figure this out for myself.  I plug in my HDMI to a westinghouse smart TV (not sure that matters).   I'll get video as if I plugged in a second monitor, but no audio.  Sound manager playback tab shows "AMD High Definition Audio Device Not Plugged In"  So far, I have 
-Rebooted my computer plugged in and not
-Tried every HDMI port on the TV (only 1 on laptop)
-Tried multiple variations of connecting (laptop off tv on, tv off laptop on, both on, both off, etc.)
-Uninstalled all the sound drivers, reinstalled, and updated
-Updated to the latest version of Windows 10 (1909 I think?)
-Performed a clean reboot
-Purchased a brand new premium high speed HDMI cable
-Multiple other little tips and tricks short of a factory reset (I don't want to do that)
Strange thing, there used to be a "sound" option when right clicking the speaker icon on the lower right of the screen.  It's gone now.  Also, many of the forums say to select "playback devices" in the same area, to make the high def audio the primary, I never had that option.
While it's possible the HDMI port is faulty on the laptop, that is the one thing I haven't verified yet.  I've used my computer to connect to other TV's in the past with no issues.  This problem has me stumped.  Later today I'll try another tv to see if the problem follows.
Any assistance is appreciated