Aspire ATC-605- UB11 Power Supply Upgrade.what power supply I should get?

joschroth
joschroth Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
I would like to upgrade the power supply in my Aspire ATC-605-UB11. Does anyone have any suggestions on what power supply I should get?

Best Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    You're welcome!
    (Don't forget to unplug the computer from electrical outlet----and other cables)  (I use a wrist strap)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No, that's the front panel audio connector. It's a big black cable because they shield it so you don't pick up static between the headphone jack on the front and the audio circuit on the motherboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JordanB
    edited December 2019
    @joschroth

The top two picks on Amazon are in links below.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020102-NA/dp/B01B72W0A2/ref=zg_bs_1161760_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y27FHX08KYDBSX0W8FF2

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=zg_bs_1161760_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y27FHX08KYDBSX0W8FF2

They'll work.  But I wouldn't buy either of those.  I would get any of the three below depending on the graphics card requirements.

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-450-gold-ssr-450fm-450w/p/N82E16817151204

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-550-gold-ssr-550fm-550w/p/N82E16817151203

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650w/p/N82E16817151202

You need a standard ATX power supply with standard dimensions.

Dimensions of an ATX power supply are 150 mm width, 86 mm height, and 140 mm depth,

Dimensions in inches in case you are from USA and are metric system challenged like me.  ;)
    5.91" x 3.39" x 5.51"

Edit: I emphasized dimensions because some ATX power supply's have a greater depth than 140 MM.  There's a metal lip inside the TC-605 case that will prevent you from installing a power supply that has a greater depth than 140 mm.  So it's important to look at the power supply specs on amazon or newegg or where ever you plan to buy and make sure it doesn't have a greater depth than 140mm (5.51 inches)

• joschroth
    Thank you for answering so quickly.

I had my brother-in-law look at it since he's built several computers and is pretty knowledgeable and said he would help me install it. He said it looked like a standard ATX but I was worried about the metal housing and that their might be something limiting my choice of PSU. 

Now all I need to do is decide on a graphics card.  :)

Thanks again.
  • joschroth
    JordonB,

Since you did such a great job with recommending a PSU, do you have any recommendations for a graphics card? I'm looking at other web sites that say the
    length needs to be 6.89" or smaller.

Thanks.
  • JordanB
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    You're welcome!
    (Don't forget to unplug the computer from electrical outlet----and other cables)  (I use a wrist strap)

• joschroth
    You are fantastic!  =) That is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a very visual person so I do better with photos.

Thanks so much.
  • joschroth
    I was comparing the motherboard in the photo to the motherboard in my case and I seem to have 2 PCIe x16 slots with a black ribbon connected to the motherboard underneath the slots. I'm not sure what the black ribbon connects.

I already have an audio card in the top slot and am planning on getting a graphics card for the bottom slot. 
  • billsey
    Are you sure the audio isn't in a x 1 slot? That would match the image. The white connector and two screw standoffs are for the WiFi card and should have two wires coming off for the antennas.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • joschroth
    I'm not %100 sure. I need to get some canned air so I can get it clean enough to take a photo and upload it. 
  • billsey
    Yeah, if you have enough gunk in there to not be able to see the difference between number 15 and 16 you definitely are due for an air blast. :) A good flashlight (or your phone with a flashlight app) is your friend...
  • joschroth
    I've been busy with the holidays but finally got around to cleaning out the motherboard. There was a piece of tape that was covering the bottom of the numbers. I finally got it pulled off enough to finally get the correct model number. It's a MS-7869 Ver: 1.0

• billsey
    Yeah, the red one is your audio card and it's in the X1 slot, it does a good job of hiding the small connector. The empty slot is the x16 and supports a wide variety of graphics cards. Looks like at some point they moved from a blue connector to a black one, but they are functionally the same. The little card mounted to the motherboard below the audio card (you can just see it under the upside VER reflected in the audio card) is the wireless adapter. Check your power supply to see it's rating, I'd guess it'll be 300W, and look at the power requirements for the graphics card you'd like to install. Many of the newer cards really want 500W or higher. Many of the GPUs are two slot designs, they'll use the X16 slot and the adjacent opening and will not conflict with the audio card.
  • joschroth
    JordonB has been helping me also and has done a great job of going over the power supply and graphic specifications with me. I've also been talking to my brother about graphics cards since he built his rig to play games.

What is the black cable in the lower left corner of the motherboard? Is that a power supply cable I need to worry about?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    No, that's the front panel audio connector. It's a big black cable because they shield it so you don't pick up static between the headphone jack on the front and the audio circuit on the motherboard.
  • joschroth
    Ahhhh. I was wondering since it was a big black cable but I had trouble figuring out where it went. That makes sense.

Y'all have been fantastic taking your time and answering all of my questions. A big thank you to you and JordonB.  =)
  • billsey
    No problem, I'm glad you got your answers!
  • joschroth
    edited March 2020
    I've been busy with life and have been looking at graphics cards. With my motherboard configuration, will a two slot card fit? I'm concerned about that big, black cable that is to the lower left of the slot. 
  • billsey
    It should bend enough to sit under a double slot card.
  • Kevcanpc
    Kevcanpc Member Posts: 1 New User
    Brothers I bought the same pc from a pawn shop.  I’m here to learn building and upgrading. Has Intel 3 4670, Windows 10 and 6g ram. It was dirt cheap, came with Alienware monitor which is whatever and keyboard. Joschroth what graphics card is that?  Thanks all for answering my questions about all the dimensions as well. Checking that ram and power supply.  I’m about to clean it up  =)

• mushepea
    mushepea Member Posts: 1 New User

I have this motherboard inside my XC-605 (mobo No. MS 7869 version 1.0). Ive bought an SSD to run the O/S from.

Is there anywhere to get power from on the board? Or PSU? I was hoping the white connector just above 12 and 13 labels was for power, but my power connector won't fit (white, photo 2).

AnAnyone know how to get a power supply?

• billsey

The black cable you show there is both data and power for a SATA drive. It should just plug in to the SSD and work. If you need to power a second drive, and there's no extra power cable coming from the PSU, you can usually get by with a splitter for the power side of that cable. Remember to connect drives like your SSD to 8 and 9, and an optical drive if used to 10. That third SATA slot is slower, so works better with the slow optical drives.