Boot Flash Drive Aspire 5-571T

WacoJohn
WacoJohn Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Aspire came with a flash drive.  It is a 16GB with the word MICROSOFT on it, and on the bottom is a label 2-13-180530-05005, FS-NSZA0.00N  <<< These 3 zeros may be capital Os.  Under that is the word ACER.  There is also a Q code on it.  It seems pretty clear that it is a "factory" recovery drive.

The problem is, I cannot seem to get it to boot.  Have 'messed' with UEFI BIOS and just cannot get it to boot up.  I don't THINK the drive is bad because I have never used it before now.

Any help with this is appreciated in advance.

Best Answer

• WacoJohn

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    JackE said:
    NOOOO!!! Don't fool with the BIOS. Keep is set to UEFI mode or you will corrupt the HDD. Make sure you can still boot the the HDD.

Then, to be able to boot from a recovery drive, you must first set and save a supervisor password in the BIOS UEFI mode. Then save settings and exit. Then you must re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot, enable the F12 boot option and D2D options in the main tab. Then save settings and exit again.

Then you may reboot the machine with the recovery drive inserted  while pressing the F12 key. A screen should appear allowing you to boot from either the HDD or the USB recovery stick.

Be careful with making changes to the UEFI BIOS.

Jack E/NJ
    Hmmm.  OK.  I found essentially the same thing, but did not have to set/save a supervisor p/w.  Did not have to disable secure boot.  I started with a DEFAULT Bios setting, then followed that link.  I think you probably are better at this than the link.  Probably your instructions apply if one can't get into W10 in the first place.  SOOOOO, I have copied your dialogue and saving it in Google Keep .. so THANK YOU very, very much.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,842 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Check to see what's on it with FileExplore. Probably  nothing. It is not yet a boot recovery drive.  You must use it to create your own recovery drive with the Acer Quick Access app once your machine is up and running.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WacoJohn

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    It's got plenty on it.
    "Total Files Listed:
                 670 File(s) 15,109,258,590 bytes
                1103 Dir(s)     381,943,808 bytes free"

Here is just some of it:

"08/02/2016  12:43 PM    <DIR>          Boot
    08/02/2016  12:44 PM                56 AcerUSBRecovery.tag
    07/10/2015  12:30 AM           395,268 bootmgr
    07/10/2015  12:07 AM         1,152,864 bootmgr.efi
    08/02/2016  01:13 PM               665 NappDeploySetting.xml
    08/02/2016  12:44 PM                 0 USBFGPNInfo.ini
    08/02/2016  12:44 PM    <DIR>          data
    08/02/2016  12:43 PM    <DIR>          EFI
    08/02/2016  12:43 PM    <DIR>          sources
                   5 File(s)      1,548,853 bytes"

It has a device label RECOVERY

Looks bootable to me.  I think it is a UEFI problem on the computer.  I went into computer Setup (BIOS) and set it to LEGACY boot and enabled F12 Boot sequence menu, but it doesn't show up with an F12.  I THINK I need help managing UEFI settings.  I don't really know.
  • JackE
    NOOOO!!! Don't fool with the BIOS. Keep is set to UEFI mode or you will corrupt the HDD. Make sure you can still boot the the HDD.

Then, to be able to boot from a recovery drive, you must first set and save a supervisor password in the BIOS UEFI mode. Then save settings and exit. Then you must re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot, enable the F12 boot option and D2D options in the main tab. Then save settings and exit again.

Then you may reboot the machine with the recovery drive inserted  while pressing the F12 key. A screen should appear allowing you to boot from either the HDD or the USB recovery stick.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WacoJohn

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ
    Hmmm.  OK.  I found essentially the same thing, but did not have to set/save a supervisor p/w.  Did not have to disable secure boot.  I started with a DEFAULT Bios setting, then followed that link.  I think you probably are better at this than the link.  Probably your instructions apply if one can't get into W10 in the first place.  SOOOOO, I have copied your dialogue and saving it in Google Keep .. so THANK YOU very, very much.
  • JackE
    Good luck. And be careful. Hope you don't have to use it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ