Has anyone with an Aspire 8920G laptop utilised 8GB RAM instead of the 4GB limit?.

8920G20
8920G20 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
 I can see there is discussion in the archives on this topic in 2015 https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/362250/i-have-an-acer-8920g-intel-t7500-2-20ghz-running-win-7-64-bit
The respondent was told Your laptop is an Aspire 8920-6257. It supports up to 4Gb - DDR2- 667MHz (2x2Gb). You have already the maximum.

Although my model is April 2008 it's currently running 2x2GBx800mhz modules my serial number starts with 817 so do I stand a chance???????? or can someone explain  to me why I can't use 8GB.

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon 8920G20 !

This series only supports a maximum of 4GB of RAM due to the controllers and chipset.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good afternoon 8920G20 !

This series only supports a maximum of 4GB of RAM due to the controllers and chipset.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• 8920G20
    This is why I really asked the question too. The INTEL link has gone  though. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/330940/acer-8920g-memory-upgrade. I wondered whether the user had  also resolved the issue.

• MaClane
    It is not a processor or system issue.
    The chipset and controllers in this series only support a maximum of 4GB of RAM.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• 8920G20
    I accept that the challenge is not worth pursuing any more but I have to admit I did find this information on the PM965 chipset very interesting.  http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/8gb-ram-with-pm965-chipset.397378/. I'm not into BIOS upgrades - anyway the laptop functions well for its age, rather like me.
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. Merry Christmas.