Acer Swift SF114-32 SSD not showing up in BIOS, but available in device manager

Drew7
Drew7 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
Recently bought an Acer Swift SF114-32 and upgraded to a SSD in the M2 slot (TEAMGROUP MS30 SSD, 512GB).  I have been able to see the SSD in the device manager, formatted it, and was even able to clone the HD to it. That being said, at no point have I been able to find the SSD in the BIOS to make it the boot drive. the only selection available is the boot manager. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Edited the content to hide personal information
Acer-Samuel

Answers

• Hi,
    You could try removing the original HDD and leave the M.2 SSD only and start using it, once you are happy with it's performance, you have to delete the OS from the original HDD because you can not have the OS in two drives in same laptop.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    IIRC the SF114-32 BIOS doesn't really have a place to show the M.2 drive, they only display a HDD (if installed). As brummyfan2 suggested removing the HDD should allow booting from the UEFI partition cloned to the SSD, unless the cloning process screwed up and changed that partition size (some cloning software does that if you aren't careful). Once you have the SSD booting you'll want to remove all the partitions on the HDD (likely four or five of them) and then create one volume spanning the whole drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Drew7
    Drew7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thank you for the responses!
    I opened the laptop again, but cannot physically disconnect the hard drive (it's soldered to the motherboard). I've heard that I may need to boot into a windows recovery session and clean with diskpart. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Just to be safe double check that the cloned drive has all four partitions off the original drive and that the three system reserved partitions are the same size as on the original drive. (Especially the 100MB and 450ishMB ones.) If they are it's fairly simple to use diskpart to remove partitions from the original drive. That should trigger recognition of the UEFI partition on the SSD and let you boot normally from it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.