Upgrading memory on an Aspire A315-22 4Gb 1Tb laptop results in "Security Boot Fail"

Was
Was Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My laptop is a little sluggish so I thought I'd add an extra 4Gb of memory to it. There's an empty internal slot and I used the Crucial memory check tool to order the compatible DRAM.

However, when I install it I get either a "Security Boot Fail" message and it will go no further, or a BSOD with "Digital signature for this file could not be verified." 

I have gone into the BIOS and disabled Secure Boot, but this makes no difference whatsoever. The laptop will simply not boot with the extra memory (and yes it is an x64 version of Windows).

The only option I have not tried is to "Erase All Secure Boot Settings", but before I try that and risk bricking the laptop, I'm hoping that someone else might have done this. Adding extra memory is usually the easiest of user upgrades, but apparently not so with Acer.

Answers

• Have you tried simply resetting the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Was
    edited December 2019
    egydiocoelho said:
    > Have you tried simply resetting the battery?

No. Because the secure boot settings are stored in firmware by Acer and without any more information, I could end up with an expensive brick. Adding memory is not a major configuration change.

That it appears to be locked down to the level of memory makes me nervous of making any change. The laptop is still within the return period. If there is no way around it, I'll take it back for a full refund. I've never had this problem with previous Acer laptops.
  • I suggest you try resetting the battery. This will not turn your notebook into a brick.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Was
    After crashing several times a day in the ATI system driver (had tried both the out of the box and support website versions to no avail) for the last week, yesterday I got an Acer "Repairing hard reboot" message in a boot. This failed to repair it and it went into the Windows attempt an Automatic Repair loop.

I have just taken it back for a refund. Whilst I do actually have a background in computing and could probably have fixed it, it was still within the 30 day return period and I had better things to do than try to fix it. My old Acer Aspire 5500 has lasted 8 years, so I don't have a problem with their general build quality. I suspect my new one was individually a lemon. It happens.
  • OK! I understood. However, there was another user with the same problem and that was solved by just reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer