***URGENT***acer cb3-431 very dim screen, and only showing chrome sign

ketchup2468
ketchup2468 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
hi,

so I opened up my chrome book and i found the screen to be very dark, almost black.I could just faintly see the chrome symbol that normally loads up when you first open it from a complete power off, then the screen appears to go dead.

sometimes after that I can see a white box in the centre of the screen that i think says 'power off'?!?!   I cannot see the pointer or anything else as the screen is soo dark.
Also i can see a horizontal line running through the LCD screen that is visible even when the chrome book is off.
the chrome book is charged/battery working
What is the issue???

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,001 Pathfinder
    @ketchup2468
    This seems to be a hard were issue, i would request you to contact ACer who can help you in fixing the issue
    click the below link to contact Acer
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Yes, likely the backlight for the display isn't lighting up. If you shine a flashlight on the screen at an angle you can usually see enough to verify everything else is working. Contact Acer support as suggested for warranty repair and let us know if you are out of warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ketchup2468
    Hi guys thanks for the replies. I believe I’m out of warranty as the chrome book was bought March 2017. We even bought it with pc world knowhow protection for two years which has also expired. So very annoying. I don’t want to pay a lot for repair as it will possibly be close the cost of the chrome book value. ;(
  • ketchup2468
    edited December 2019
    Update*******
    called Pc world repairs and was quoted minimum 65pds repair. 65pd for diagnostics  only. Extra would be incurred for parts and labour. 
    In the end I diagnosed it as a screen problem. Replaced the screen myself and TADA all fixed!! 
  • billsey
    Sweet! Glad you got it sorted, you must have been able to get the screen really fast. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jammers
    Jammers Member Posts: 3 New User
    FYI I have a very similar problem which has just manifested on a Chromebook 11 CB3-132.
  • billsey
    @Jammers you probably ought to start a new thread, since this one is fairly old and the original poster didn't actually mark it as solved. That way others will be able to find yours when searching for the issue. If the problem is the same then you should check to see if it's the backlight. If it is you'll be able to see the normal stuff on your screen by shining a flashlight on the screen at an angle.
  • ketchup2468
    @Jammers

hey I fixed mine by replacing the screen. Very simple to do. Just need a small screw driver.