Aspire VX 15 crashes on every game after GPU update

blackholebird
blackholebird Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone, 

I used DDU to remove my old drivers then I have updated to the latest available for my card (441.41) rebooted and all and the pc crashes on every game displaying black squares and occasionally making buzz noise after playing for 2-3min. 

What I have noticed: 
1) Fans seem not to be working properly (they usually start to spin fast 30s after opening a game but now can´t hear them) 
2) Black squares problem with computer freeze happens on every game after 2-3min 
3) Occasional buzz noise when black squares/freeze happens 
4) Pc will turn off and keyboard led will blink each 2s for like 30 seconds. 

Pics: 
https://ibb.co/jLvznbr (turning on after shutdown) 
https://ibb.co/XzZ35TV (black squares) 

What I have tried: 
1) Deinstall Nvidia drivers and use factory ones (old 376.xx version) 
2) Downgrade to 441.12 
3) Manually boost fan speed with RW-Everything (with max fan it seems I can play for 15-20min) 

My specs: 
System Model Aspire VX5-591G (LAPTOP) 
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362 
System Type x64-based PC System 
SKU 0000000000000000 
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.06, 07/07/2017 
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 1050, NVIDIA compatible 
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes 

Would really appreciate any advice, please ask me in case more informations are required!

Best Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall again using DDU then download the Studio driver version not the Game Ready it is more stable and DO NOT install GeForce experience it has caused some users problems, instead check once a month for updates.
    Then before you launch your game do this:

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

1. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Then go to Set PhyeX Configuration and select Nvidia GPU

2. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• braynerg
    braynerg Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So ive been testing and testing, and after a couple days banging my head against the wall, found the solution.
    and all you need to do is install intel and nvidia  both DCH drivers! 

I did a clean windows install, and as soon it goes into the desktop, quickly disconnect it from network to prevent windows update from downloading and installing any graphics driver (or dont plug in at all during windows install!), and then install the latest intel's and nvidia's BOTH DCH
    and only after installing the drivers you reconnect to network and run windows update!

Answers

• andylb
    The only Aspire Laptop beginning with VX is the VX5-591g. Is that your model?

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• braynerg

Tinkerer

as far i know this model only suport the ANCIENT drivers provided by Acer, which is version 398.26.
    i've tried updating them, but the same happened, and also some games i couldnt open at all! (pubg, parkitech...)  i dont know what to do, i want to update and use shadowplay (in game overlay).
    i have the same model, someone help us,
    and ACER PLEASE UPDATE THE DRIVERS or let us use drivers directly from nvidia, *****!

• andylb
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall again using DDU then download the Studio driver version not the Game Ready it is more stable and DO NOT install GeForce experience it has caused some users problems, instead check once a month for updates.
    Then before you launch your game do this:

Please click YES if I have answered your question, thankyou

1. Go to the Nvidia control center and under manage 3d settings/Preferred Graphics processor set to your Nvidia GPU then under the Program Settings tab select the programs and games that you want to run on the Nvidia GPU. Then go to Set PhyeX Configuration and select Nvidia GPU

2. Make sure Windows is set to high performance and you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged in while gaming

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• braynerg

Tinkerer

I just tried to update it again, and it doesnt work, the only usable driver is 398.26, which is old and outdated. Acer please do something.
  • blackholebird
    blackholebird Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks everyone for the answers, I made a typo when typing my model, it is a VX15 however I think many had figured this out.

It seems that performing the DDU uninstall and installing the ancient drivers, as suggested, partially fixed the problem.
    Relatively new games, as well as those "recommending to update the drivers" still show the same issue though after 15/20min of gameplay.

I hope that Acer will release newer drivers.
  • 1.)You need to go to Power options from right clicking the battery icon.
    2.)Switch to High performance mode and then go to Change plan settings.
    3.)You'll be able to see Change advance power settings, proceed with that
    4.)Scroll down and search for Switchable Dynamic Graphics.
    5.)Set both the options to Maximum Performance.
    Apply and Exit. 
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • braynerg

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So ive been testing and testing, and after a couple days banging my head against the wall, found the solution.
    and all you need to do is install intel and nvidia  both DCH drivers! 

I did a clean windows install, and as soon it goes into the desktop, quickly disconnect it from network to prevent windows update from downloading and installing any graphics driver (or dont plug in at all during windows install!), and then install the latest intel's and nvidia's BOTH DCH
    and only after installing the drivers you reconnect to network and run windows update!