Predator G3-710 PSU replacements & case fans

Options
allu666
allu666 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello! I've had an issue with my Predator G3-710 desktop, the issue has been there for very long. I got the computer from my friend and even he had the issue.
The issue is that when doing an cold boot, the psu fan makes very loud noise. This can be fixed by letting the computer "warm up" and completely shutting it down and then booting up again, or by pressing the psu fan down a little. But sometimes during some gaming or any other use of the computer, the loud noise come backs and I have to restart the computer to stop it again.

So I am now wishing to replace the PSU and wondering if this one is okay:

Seasonic 520W S12II-520 ATX

https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show/44826/s12ii-520/seasonic-520w-s12ii-520-atx-virtalahde-80-plus-bronze

Like all the connectors are compatible and size is ok? I'm not wishing to spend alot of money in it since I already have couple of other setups im building, but have to get it fixed since my girlfriend uses the computer daily.

Also, I have read about people adding case fans, I'm probably gonna put an 92mm Noctua in the back, its not 2500RPM(the stock fan i heard) like in one thread was advised, but its fine too?
Is there and possibility of adding more case fans? Probably an intake? I think there is an slot in the front but the harddrive cage seems to be blocking it..
Also, what size is the front slot if there is one?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, a stock ATX supply like that should work fine. The main thing to look at with adding a case fan (other than dimensions which you seem to have handled) is the pin-out on the power connector. You don't want to be using a three pin fan with a four pin connector, they handle speed control differently. IIRC yours uses a three pin but physically check the MB to be sure.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, a stock ATX supply like that should work fine. The main thing to look at with adding a case fan (other than dimensions which you seem to have handled) is the pin-out on the power connector. You don't want to be using a three pin fan with a four pin connector, they handle speed control differently. IIRC yours uses a three pin but physically check the MB to be sure.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • allu666
    allu666 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Thanks. I got this solved as I somehow managed to make 2 threads about this. I couldnt find this thread so I assumed I had only clicked "Save Draft" instead of the post button. Actually, I posted this thread on saturday, not yesterday. Very odd.

Thanks anyways and sorry for making two threads.