Is this really worth the money? nitro 5

Slownitro5
Slownitro5 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Why do you make computers that are slower than snails, like seriously....the acer nitro 5 gtx 1050 version should not be priced around $700, all you're paying for is a computer that forces you to emergency shut down more than 3 times a day, and the rest of the day its a pain just to open chrome or edge, acer ***** 5

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    This is a not an official Acer support Forum so it is not a portal to Acer for airing complaints, we are a community of users just like you sharing our knowledge and trying to help others. 
    Please give more details of your problem, what happens and when it happens and what steps you have already taken to remedy your problem, also your model number for example AN515-**
    Your experience is not normal and may be easily remedied by a little troubleshooting which we may be able to help you with

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Slownitro5
    Its the acer nitro 5  AN515-53 
    i5-8300h gtx 1050 4gb
    So far i have been regretting buying this...all it does is freeze and slow down, making daily use of it painful
  • andylb
    A few things that you need to try.
    Start with a Battery reset, turn off and unplug then place a straightened paperclip in the small hole on the underside with a battery symbol next to it, press for 10 seconds then leave everything alone for 15 minutes, plug in and power up. Let me know if that helps things if not we'll look at your GPU settings.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Slownitro5
    ill try that once im free, and i will let you know
  • Slownitro5
    nothing changed, it is still slow...
  • Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Sounds like a temperature issue...and high temps can cause throttling (followed by shutdown if throttling does not prevent temperatures from crossing the limit).  If that is the problem, it could be a thermal paste issue.  Not sure how long you have had the system or if there is a local service center nearby.  A local computer shop should be able to do the job if you cannot.

Other than that, do you have a lot running in the background?  Lots of programs like to run at startup and maintain a persistent presence.  I've seen Chrome with 2 tabs open cause my cpu usage to spike to 95+% across all cores causing a temperature spike of 95C.  Happened twice, no idea why.

I would monitor temperatures, check what is running at startup and cut that back as much as possible and maybe try undervolting (although if you're getting emergency shutdowns due to thermal limits being exceeded, undervolting may not be enough.  It did drop my temps by 8-10C during heavy usage though).
  • andylb
    Got to agree that given the troubleshooting done there is something hogging the CPU
    I'd like you to do clean reset of Windows which should get rid of whatever is hogging this laptop. This doesn't sound like an actual Acer Laptop issue, more like a Windows issue.

Please reboot and press Alt + f10 during startup, do a clean Windows reinstall and select Keep Files

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Slownitro5
    Its been that slow since the day i bought it, and it was brand new, and i use chrome only at times and it still freezes. I then see all the icons refreshand still is slow, i can say that youre right when it comes to thermal throttling since i tested it while trying to undervolt. The moment the fan goes on it throttles

Do you think reinstalling windows would work?

And sometimes it tells me either 83 or 90% of the cpu is being used when nothing is open besides chrome
  • Slownitro5
    I will try to reinstall 
  • Slownitro5
    Also keep in mind that sometimes my pc fans start up fast for no reason with nothing open
  • Slownitro5
    Twitch, origin, steam, discord
  • andylb
    Its been that slow since the day i bought it, and it was brand new, and i use chrome only at times and it still freezes. I then see all the icons refreshand still is slow, i can say that youre right when it comes to thermal throttling since i tested it while trying to undervolt. The moment the fan goes on it throttles

Do you think reinstalling windows would work?

And sometimes it tells me either 83 or 90% of the cpu is being used when nothing is open besides chrome

Yes I it may

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Slownitro5
    It worked but for some reason, norton security shows a green check but when i click it nothing happens, and it seems that my anivirus wont turn on
  • andylb
    edited December 2019
    It worked but for some reason, norton security shows a green check but when i click it nothing happens, and it seems that my anivirus wont turn on

Get rid of Norton completely it hugs computers just like McAfee. All you need is Windows Defender which is built in and doesn't use a ton of resources. Absolutely get rid of it.

Please click YES if I have helped solve your problem

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★