What to do now? (Acer Aspire Switch 10E)

Khrushchev
Khrushchev Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone. I have a question about my Acer Aspire Switch 10E.

Since the Win 10 May update performance of this machine started to race downhill. Opening a browser or a document literally takes a minute or two. The screen often goes blurry, as there is a problem with something, processes are asked to be stopped, etc. So I tried to look for an alternative to Windows. I tired installing Cloudready, a Chrome OS offspring, but failed to do so, it works then running a live version from a pendrive but the OS doesn't recognize the memory of the tablet as a hard drive, so install was a no no. I've seen videos of someone installing linux ubuntu on this device, but... What about the hard drive in the keyboard? I believe that it is protected in some way. When I install Linux on it will the HDD be available? And if not, is there a way to turn off these security measures? In the worst case I will just use it without HDD, but it will be a waste of good 500 gigs of space.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    Firstly, what are the exact specs of your Acer Aspire Switch 10E e.g. 10E SAS or SWxxx-xxx has it got an Intel Atom Z3735F  or what, has it got 2GB ram? Because 2GB of ram is hopeless with Win-10 (especially v1903 you need at least 4GB preferably 8GB for it to work reasonably to an acceptable level) and if you cant upgrade the ram to at least 4GB, then you might as well forget about Win-10 and stick to the Win-8.1 that it came with or use Linux, Cloudready etc. I had the same problem with an Acer One AtomN570 that came with Win-7 Basic and Android and I updated the ram to 2GB and HDD to an SSD 256GB and it still was a slug and couldn't handle Win-10 Home and was like yours and had the same symptoms to what you are describing.
  • Khrushchev
    Khrushchev Member Posts: 2 New User
    It is exactly like you wrote, Intel Atom Z3735F and 2 gigs of RAM. Is there even a way to add some RAM to this thing? And what about the HDD? Because I think it is protected somehow, because when I tried to speed up the 10 by formatting it, after fresh install the HDD was marked as inactive and couldn't be accessed, until I installed everything from Drivers.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    It is exactly like you wrote, Intel Atom Z3735F and 2 gigs of RAM. Is there even a way to add some RAM to this thing? And what about the HDD? Because I think it is protected somehow, because when I tried to speed up the 10 by formatting it, after fresh install the HDD was marked as inactive and couldn't be accessed, until I installed everything from Drivers.
    Have a look at this Acer Aspire Switch 10 - Disassembly here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER1iG21rTc
    Good luck and be careful as disassembling any laptop is a complex procedure and can lead you into many unknowns and complications!