Aspire 3 A315-53-30N0 (NX.H37AA.005) Notebook Memory Question

LPVD
LPVD Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Maximum Memory Upgrade is 12 GB not 20 GB? Seeking help...

Tommorow, 12/9/2019, my Aspire 3 A315-53-30N0 (NX.H37AA.005) Notebook is being delivered... hopefully. 

But, I've discovered a possible maxium memory problem, and am not sure what or why the Maxium Memory is not the usual 20 GB. 
https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2018/4876/A315-53/NX.H37AA.005.html
Standard Memory
4 GB
Maximum Memory
12 GB 

So now I'm wondering why the maximum is 12 GB, and not the usual maxium of 20 GB. Very confusing, to say the least.

I've been planning on upgrading, keeping the 1 TB HHD, and adding a M.2 SATA SSD with a clean Windows 10 install, and also adding additional RAM to the maxium of 20 GB. But now ir seems I can't. Ugh! 

Worse scenario is I could return it as still new and get something else, but since I only paid $219.00 with FREE shipping, I'm wondering if sticking with this model will be good enough.

Any help, suggestions, clarifications, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    According to Acer manual, it can be upgraded to 20GB( 4GB on-board+16GB) Crucial agrees with it but another site says 12GB  as maximum , it could be a regional variation, however, I would suggest you to keep the laptop mainly for the price, it's a bargain 👌 anyway there won't be any noticeable difference between 12GB and 20GB.
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-3-a315-53
    https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/acer/aspire-notebook/a315-53
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good evening LPVD !

This model supports a maximum of 20GB of RAM (having integrated 4GB onboard and only one slot for up to a maximum of 16GB) So-DIMM DDR4 1866 / 2133Mhz

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good evening LPVD !

The information was taken from the service manual that is not provided to the end user.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,438 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    According to Acer manual, it can be upgraded to 20GB( 4GB on-board+16GB) Crucial agrees with it but another site says 12GB  as maximum , it could be a regional variation, however, I would suggest you to keep the laptop mainly for the price, it's a bargain 👌 anyway there won't be any noticeable difference between 12GB and 20GB.
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good evening LPVD !

This model supports a maximum of 20GB of RAM (having integrated 4GB onboard and only one slot for up to a maximum of 16GB) So-DIMM DDR4 1866 / 2133Mhz

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• LPVD

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Thank you so much, brummyfan2 !

Yes, with different maximum (RAM) memory capacities shown for this specific notebook is curious. I gave more credence to ACER's (link I provided) product page which states 12 GB Maximum Memory. Maybe the linked webpage is outdated, or something, or maybe it is actually accurate?

I'll have to wait until the arrival of my new notebook to see what exactly is inside. I've scoured most all (hopefully) of this Community and read what steps (great information) I'll need to take to begin upgrading. 

I've so many unanswered questions concerning upgrading. Such as, and as you kindly pointed out - huge thank you, which will make or not make noticeable differences.

Thanks again! And, you are correct, what I paid was a bargain. very well priced and very likely worth keeping.
  • LPVD said:
    Hi,
    Thank you so much, brummyfan2 !

Yes, with different maximum (RAM) memory capacities shown for this specific notebook is curious. I gave more credence to ACER's (link I provided) product page which states 12 GB Maximum Memory. Maybe the linked webpage is outdated, or something, or maybe it is actually accurate?

I'll have to wait until the arrival of my new notebook to see what exactly is inside. I've scoured most all (hopefully) of this Community and read what steps (great information) I'll need to take to begin upgrading. 

I've so many unanswered questions concerning upgrading. Such as, and as you kindly pointed out - huge thank you, which will make or not make noticeable differences.

Thanks again! And, you are correct, what I paid was a bargain. very well priced and very likely worth keeping.
    You are welcome and good luck with your intended upgrades  :)
  • LPVD

Tinkerer

MacLean said:
    Good evening LPVD !

Hello MaClane !

Thank you so very much, I appreciate your help!

Can you share with me, the link(s) maybe, you've posted? I've had hit-and-mostly-miss luck trying to find specific informational data sheets for specific Acer Model Series and Part Numbers?

Regardless, I believe you've answered one of my unknowns...  DIMM DDR4 1866 / 2133Mhz. I'll visually check, if possible, what mine has soldered upon arrive, and will certainly be using 3rd-party software to do extensive system verification/ checking.

Thanks again!
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good evening LPVD !

The information was taken from the service manual that is not provided to the end user.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• LPVD

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good evening LPVD !

Hello MaClane!

Thanks once again! I couldn't figure out where this info was originating from.

Yeah, makes perfect sense, Service Manuals are not something really needed by the Customer/End User.

Would you happen to know if service manuals for my notebook (notebook series, maybe) are available online for (non-Acer Certifed, et al.) customers, persons?

Inconsequential, but my notebook arrived... Today! Now, I only need to find some extra time...  ;) 

• MaClane
    As I told you, the service manuals are not made available to final suspects anywhere directly.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™