Aspire 5 BIOS spontaneously resetting to factory defaults? Aspire 5 A515-54-30

CatOnMyLap
CatOnMyLap Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Short: Are there any known issues with the InsydeH20 Setup Utility (Rev 5) and/or BIOS V1.11 spontaneously resetting to factory defaults?  Lost BIOS changes to SATA, Secure Boot &c after 2 days of use.

Details:
Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-30BQ; i3-8145U
Replaced NVME w/ Intel p660 1TB
Added Crucial DDR4 2400 8GB RAM (from Crucial compat checker) (12GB total)
Elementary OS 5.1 Hera

I've had this laptop less than a week.  Two days of hardware sanity testing the original config (Win10, Kingston 128GB SSD, 4G RAM): No hardware issues w/ kbd, screen (1 dead pixel, acceptable for the price), network (better than expected from reviews! yay) &c.  Checked for BIOS/firmware updates, etc.  I've spent 20+ years in tech, generally competent at these tasks.

Replaced SSD, preserving Kingston w/ Win10 for now (just in case).

Linux install required BIOS changes:
  • Supervisor password (temporary)
  • Boot Tab: Secure Boot: Disabled
  • Main Tab: SATA mode: AHCI
  • Main Tab: Boot Priority Order
  • Unset Supervisor password.
Installed Ubuntu 19.10 for testing.  No issues in another day of testing and simple updates.

Added Crucial 8Gb RAM.  At this point, Ubuntu prompted a BIOS update (V1.11), listing RAM support.
Did that, and the update lost the current BIOS settings - unpleasant, but not surprising, and easy to fix:  This is not the problem, but a possible early symptom.  Brief sanity testing, everything still looks good.

Installed ElementaryOS 5.1 (Hera) for more testing (prep as Christmas gift).  Basic install went well, simple first app updates go well.

I started testing System Settings, in order, all good, until Mouse & Touchpad -> Pointing.  Tried using keypad to control pointing (worked), but then when I turned that off I lost mouse click; trackpad would still move the cursor, but not activate anything.  OK, maybe a software bug, "don't do that".  Power down laptop w/ power button.  On wall power, with full battery, so unlikely that there was any power glitch.

Power on... nope, won't start.  Hangs on the Elementary boot screen briefly, then blank for a minute.  Power cycle again, spend a few seconds in grub to see that it can't see the system SSD.  Ah, seen that before: SATA mode is wrong!

Restart into BIOS and discover all values reset to factory defaults: Secure Boot enabled, SATA in PRT+optane.  No way I see I could have reset the BIOS while Elementary was running, and reasonably certain that I didn't hit any keys getting back to the BIOS (e.g., F9 to restore defaults).  Redo BIOS changes, Elementary boots fine.

Tried to reproduce pointer and/or BIOS fault by retesting Settings -> Mouse -> Pointing &c; cannot reproduce loss of mouse control nor any other issue.

So, as I continue configuration, my question is:  Are there any known issues with BIOS v1.11 and/or InsydeH20 Setup auto-resetting to factory defaults?  Any "unexpected" user actions that could cause this?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    Firstly, try updating the bios to the latest Aspire 5 A515-54 to v1,12 as v1.11 is not the latest. 
    1.Update BIOS code. 
    2.Hidden SATA Mode in BIOS setup menu and can press "Ctrl+S" to show up.
  • CatOnMyLap
    StevenGen said:
    Firstly, try updating the bios to the latest Aspire 5 A515-54 to v1,12 as v1.11 is not the latest. 
    1.Update BIOS code. 
    2.Hidden SATA Mode in BIOS setup menu and can press "Ctrl+S" to show up.
    Thanks, I'll do that tomorrow.  From first looks at Acer and web, I only find Windows support for flashing the Aspire BIOS.  Easy enough to boot Win10+flash app via USB, but do you happen to know a safe Linux BIOS flash method for future?  

OK:  Ubuntu apparently *has* the tool to do so, so I'll have to dig that out.  Flashing ROMs ain't exactly rocket science, but it's not forgiving of mistakes, either.
  • kluetech
    kluetech Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Latest BIOS doesn't help. I'm on 1.12 and have the same issue.
  • CatOnMyLap
    Same here: BIOS 1.12, Ubuntu 18.04 (for a couple weeks) and 19.10 for a couple months with all updates... and yes, about once every 3-4 weeks the BIOS will spontaneously reset to defaults with no obviously repeatable procedure.  Two laptops, so often enough that I know exactly what to do when it won't restart.  The BIOS defaults will boot Windows, so no guess as to whether the same happens there and nobody notices.
  • chocolatequente23
    chocolatequente23 Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited January 2021
    Hey, guys. Just reporting, I have an Acer Nitro 5 for 5 months and my setup also resetted twice.|

1º SSD -> Dual Boot: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04
    2º SSD -> EndlessOS 
  • vran22
    vran22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    any news regarding bios settings reset? i am having Aspire A515-55 and bios 1.13 and i am seeing also some bios resetting settings.

Mostly because i have set Fn behavior and F12 Boot Menu. And it keeps resetting.