Downgrading bios of a Predator G6-710 to solve a fan problem

Propeller_H3ad
Propeller_H3ad Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hello! I hope somebody (working for ACER) could answer and know about this.

Background:
I had some issues with unstable system. I got a new quality power supply, reseted Windows 10 and upgraded my bios from original R01-A2 to latest (for my skylake i5-6600K) version R01-A4. I think the system has been stabile, but I have found another problem:

Previously my CPU (i5-6600K) was running at around 50C under heavy load.
Now it heats up to around 60C.
Previously CPU fan got a bit more rpm and the cpu stayed at that 50 degrees.
What happens now is that the case fan doubles it's speed while cpu cooler doesn't change rpms.

So now the system is significantly louder and runs warmer.

I think automatic bios (fan settings are not found in bios) is the only way that controls the fans as Predator Sense is the only compatible software with the motherboard and it only has settings of auto/max rpm.

Question:
1) Can I downgrade my bios back to R01-A2 so it doesn't mess up the system and would it help to the weird fan behaviour.
2) Other approach: is there a software that I could use on this machine and control the fans more precisely that max/automatic (whereas SpeedFan doesn't support the motherboard for instance).

(System:
G6-710 predator,
i5-6600K,
GTX 970 (nowadays upgraded to GTX 1060),
1 back case fan and 1 cpu cooler fan,
256 GB SSD if these specs help to determine the model)

I hope somebody knows about this. I can tell more if required :)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Since this is a community support board you often can't get a direct response from an Acer employee. The Acer people who are most often here are the website support people, usually dealing with forum issues, not so much technical stuff like this. There isn't any easy way to downgrade a BIOS. I wouldn't be at all worried about the temperatures, it's not unusual to see numbers in the 90C plus range when working hard. The fan noise does sound like an issue though, it certainly affects the user perception and can be a distraction at the least opportune moments. As you mention, fan speed is controlled by the BIOS, supposedly ramping up as the processor temperature increases and slowing back down as it decreases. It's quite possible the newer BIOS is trying to run things cooler than the old one, which is causing the increased speed. Without downgrading the BIOS I think what we could look at is other steps that might cool things down. Perhaps the thermal grease is starting to break down between the CPU and cooler? It would be potentially a good idea to replace that with another high quality one to see if that will help with the heat transfer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.