Mediocre Performance on a new Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)

Lann
Lann Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone! 

I bought a Predator Helios 300 about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to be going alright (already less fps than it should have, but alright - Overwatch around 90-100 fps on ultra, for instance) at first, but a couple of days ago I noticed a sudden drop of fps (Overwatch started to play at mid 50's-60 fps on the same settings, even when on low I don't get the same level of performance). Other games are also experiencing the same issue. I also noticed that CPU and GPU usage skyrocket in certain games (90% of CPU usage in Overwatch, for instance).

I updated the drivers, turned off the whisper mode and FPS cap on the Geforce Experience. Any idea of what the problem might be and what triggered it? I mean, performance was already a bit subpar, but not on this level. 

Thank you!

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Simply go to the Nvidia dashboard and set the EXE of the games and force the dedicated GPU to always be scanned.
    I suggest you also disable HDR and uninstall XBOX applications.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Good Morning Lann !

Are you using the basic settings to play?

1- all drivers and windows must be properly updated
    2- the device must be set to use the high performance power plan of Windows
    3- the battery must be charged 100% before playing
    4- Battery should be set to advanced power options for maximum performance.
    5- Game applications must be set in dedicated GPU Painel to be the main
    6- The appliance must be connected directly to a properly grounded power outlet without any power adapter.

Remember that in online games, the issue of FPS depends a lot and directly on the type of connection, dedicated link, network settings, server availability, among others.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Lann
    edited December 2019
    Hello McLane! Thank you for your help! 

So, the only thing of these instructions that I didn't follow is the 5th one, as I don't know how to do this. If this instruction is to make sure that the games are using the Nvidea GPU, though, I checked it and they are. I also didn't update the BIOs yet, since I figured as the computer is very new there wouldn't be any need just yet.

I only used Overwatch as an example because it's the game that I've been playing most in the past week. Using The Witcher as an example, I'm getting 35-40 FPS on ultra with turbo off and 45-50 with turbo on. 
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Simply go to the Nvidia dashboard and set the EXE of the games and force the dedicated GPU to always be scanned.
    I suggest you also disable HDR and uninstall XBOX applications.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Lann
    edited December 2019
    Thank you MacLane! That improved the situation. Now I'm sitting on 80-90 fps on Overwatch and 55-60 on The Witcher. Still not quite on the benchmarks, tho. Do you have any other tips to improve performance? 

Thanks again :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    Lann basically optimize windows check my signature links there are videos available for windows optimization

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• MaClane
    Lann said:
    Thank you MacLane! That improved the situation. Now I'm sitting on 80-90 fps on Overwatch and 55-60 on The Witcher. Still not quite on the benchmarks, tho. Do you have any other tips to improve performance? 

Thanks again :) 

Follow the tips of friend @xapim and then post here the result.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Lann
    @Xapin, thanks for the tips!
    The video helped a little, but not really that much. Got about a 5fps increase from these settings, still a bit far from what it can be. 
    Do you have any other suggestions?
  • mariasouza
    mariasouza Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

Have you tried to roll back the NVIDIA?

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61514

Some users have reported a significant drop in Frames Per Second after the latest NVIDIA driver update. You can resolve this issue by rolling back the driver to previous version.

1. Type Device Manager in Windows search box and select Device Manager from the list of search results.
    2. Double-click Video Adapter.
    3. Right-click on your NVIDIA adapter and choose properties.
    4. Select the Drivers tab and click the Roll Back Driver button.