Dual boot Ubuntu with second hard drive Helios 300 PH315-52

HilseeJ
HilseeJ Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
I want to install Ubuntu on the hard drive that Windows is currently on and install Windows on a second 2TB SSD hard drive installed in the hard drive bay. My Helios came with a 500gb SSD which has windows on it currently - basically as it came from the factory.

I'd like there to be some sort of boot loader or something that asks you which hard drive/OS you want to boot to.

If possible, I'd like to have the second 2TB ssd be exactly as if it came from Acer like that - all the programs, software, etc. IE like when I received it from Acer.

I'd be willing to install all of the software manually if need be but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I'd also be willing to settle for another version of Linux if it meant that the laptop would function better.

Not going to use the Linux side for gaming but having the graphics card drivers would be a plus I suppose.

Anything I should know before starting this process? I'm about to reformat the 2tb HD and install it but I'm wondering what the next step is after that.

Should I even bother reformatting the 2TB that's currently in use or just plug it in and go from there? There's nothing crucial on the 512gb main hard drive that came with this computer as I just got it 4 days ago.

This will be my first experience with Linux.

Model PH315-52

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening HilseeJ !

This would cause a bootloader error.
    Both systems (Windows and Linux) must be on the same drive (in this case, on the SSD).
    This is because the boot manager (Grub) will be responsible for giving you the choice of which system you want to work on when turning on the device.
    Never use systems separately on discs.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• HilseeJ
    Can I at least run programs off of the secondary disk then? Like splitting the main hard drive with Windows/Linux and running programs off of the second hard drive while installing them through the first.
  • MaClane
    Do not.
    Each and every application must be installed on the main disk where the systems are.
    Initially installing Windows and then Linux, Grub will manage the systems at boot time.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2019
    yes you can, i had 10 on one drive, and linux on a separate drive - as you have 2 physical drives, you don't really want the linux bootloader in the windows drive as sooner or later, an MS update will wreck it.  So the way it works is this:  your computer boots grub (linux) which gives an option to either go to the linux install, or move onto the windows bootloader on the second drive (which then boots 10 which is on the second drive).    Here's a couple of links to give you an idea (first it is for Opensuse, but same applies to Ubuntu/Manjaro etc)
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/524687-Dual-Booting-Leap-and-Windows-10-Each-OS-Installed-on-Separate-HDD?s=25839fafa0f3c0c077594e64b9938824

http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/10/31/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu-15-10-on-two-hard-drives/

and if by any chance a linux update doesn't update grub to show the windows bootloader option, then     sudo update-grub    in the terminal should do the trick if all else went according to planned. 
  • MaClane
    Being able to do something does not mean that it is the ideal to be done.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• HilseeJ
    What's not ideal about it? His method either works or it doesn't.
  • HilseeJ
    edited December 2019
    Can't edit my post but I guess what I'm asking is my only "ideal" option to dual boot on a tiny 500gb hard drive and leave my second 2TB strictly for storage?

My desktop has 500GB of games installed on it alone - that won't work for me.

Even if I gave up on Linux that still wouldn't work for me because I need to have games installed on it, not just raw data like videos and stuff.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    HilseeJ install your games in the 2.5 drive and leave the 500gb  ssd for OS/software only even all games run perfectly fine from the normal hdd's i have about 130+ installed on my 1tb hdd and my external usb3.0 10gbps 2.5" enclosure 5tb hdd and the only games i had to move into the ssd so far was MHW/Anthem u should be just fine u sated u have a 2tb 2.5" ssd you could also upgrade your m.2 drive if you wanted i upgraded mine to a 2tb

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/