My laptop Acer Espire E5-576 refuses to turn on.

OceanIsaac
OceanIsaac Member Posts: 7 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I know what youre thinking, "There's lots of fixes for this." My situation is odd.

I have an Acer Espire E5-576 Series laptop that is almost exactly a year old(got in shipped and started up for the first time on Christmas Day 2018). 

My system, for the past two or so days, randomly shut off at the sound of a click without overheating. At first I assumed I hadn't been paying attention to the batter warnings, no big deal. But it shut off about an hour and a half ago with a half charged battery. I attempted to boot it back up, the acer screen came on for 3 seconds then shut off. I repeated this process many times and plugged my computer in anyway. Eventually it turned on and the loading circle appeared, I got excited, then it shut off again.

I attempted Safe Mode start (the one where you interrupt start up three times), the starting autorepair prompt showed up on my screen them it shut off again. Sometimes I would press the power button and nothing would happen, when leaving it along the acer start up screen appears and it comes off again, yes I mean without touching it. 

The power light comes on when the start up screen is visible but comes off with the rest of the system so I dont think its a screen problem. Please help.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    StevenGen said:
    This sounds like a power supply problem, does this happen when the E5-576 is pugged into the mains with the AC adaptor or just on battery power or both? As you are not making it exactly clear on what power source(s) you having this problem with? It could also be that your DC power jack is faulty or there could be something wrong with your battery and AC power adaptor, this happened to me also (due to a brown out) which is, when one of the phases of the main power supply drops and it destroyed my AC adaptor and battery, at the same time. Check all these components out, if they are functioning properly as this could be your problem.
    As i said to the other nice person I thought I was having an issue with that before but it was the charger. I got a new one and it was charged when it cut out on me.

It happens any time. Plugged in and charged, plugged in after dying, being fully charged and unplugged.

It worked fine after I got the new one. It only started acting up recently. Could it still be the battery?
    Well and I know that you said "randomly shut off at the sound of a click without overheating" but this is worth checking as what I noticed when this happened to me (there was no sign(s) of overheating) just a click and the laptop turned off like yours, what was happening was, that the CPU fan was not working 100% and properly and cutting in and out and causing the system to turn off, this was with an Aspire 5750-2414 which is not a laptop that is known to overheat or ever gave any signs of overheating. Check the fan if its functioning100%? As what I did is, I changed the CPU fan and everything worked 100% with no issues, worth a check as fans are very cheap but are a hassel to change but, at the same time you could clean the system and repaste the CPU and GPU also, this is worth doing as a clean out and repaste, should be done at least every 2 years, for good measure. Hope this helps

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    Have you removed any of the doors or covers for any maintenance or upgrades at any time just before this started happening? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    This sounds like a power supply problem, does this happen when the E5-576 is pugged into the mains with the AC adaptor or just on battery power or both? As you are not making it exactly clear on what power source(s) you having this problem with? It could also be that your DC power jack is faulty or there could be something wrong with your battery and AC power adaptor, this happened to me also (due to a brown out) which is, when one of the phases of the main power supply drops and it destroyed my AC adaptor and battery, at the same time. Check all these components out, if they are functioning properly as this could be your problem.
  • OceanIsaac
    JackE said:
    Have you removed any of the doors or covers for any maintenance or upgrades at any time just before this started happening? Jack E/NJ
     No I didnt. I couldnt even if I wanted to. The only issue I've ever had with it was a shorted charger and I got a new one.
  • OceanIsaac
    edited December 2019
    StevenGen said:
    As i said to the other nice person I thought I was having an issue with that before but it was the charger. I got a new one and it was charged when it cut out on me.

It happens any time. Plugged in and charged, plugged in after dying, being fully charged and unplugged.

It worked fine after I got the new one. It only started acting up recently. Could it still be the battery?
  • JackE
    >>>Could it still be the battery? >>>

Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OceanIsaac
    JackE said:
    >>>Could it still be the battery? >>>

Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Wasn't sure what exactly you want to see so I screenshotted everything.

hope that's okay.
  • JackE
    The battery looks OK. Looks like something happened on Dec 4th. Has the machine shut off since you did this battery report? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OceanIsaac
    JackE said:
    The battery looks OK. Looks like something happened on Dec 4th. Has the machine shut off since you did this battery report? Jack E/NJ
    nope.
  • JackE
    >>>My system, for the past two or so days, randomly shut off>>>

Did it ever shut off when the machine wasn't being used or physically disturbed/moved? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• OceanIsaac
    JackE said:
    >>>My system, for the past two or so days, randomly shut off>>>

Did it ever shut off when the machine wasn't being used or physically disturbed/moved? Jack E/NJ
    Nope. Its been good all day.
  • StevenGen
    edited December 2019 Answer ✓
    StevenGen said:

Well and I know that you said "randomly shut off at the sound of a click without overheating" but this is worth checking as what I noticed when this happened to me (there was no sign(s) of overheating) just a click and the laptop turned off like yours, what was happening was, that the CPU fan was not working 100% and properly and cutting in and out and causing the system to turn off, this was with an Aspire 5750-2414 which is not a laptop that is known to overheat or ever gave any signs of overheating. Check the fan if its functioning100%? As what I did is, I changed the CPU fan and everything worked 100% with no issues, worth a check as fans are very cheap but are a hassel to change but, at the same time you could clean the system and repaste the CPU and GPU also, this is worth doing as a clean out and repaste, should be done at least every 2 years, for good measure. Hope this helps
  • OceanIsaac
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

thank you!